Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Low FPS on DotA2
pottorf Sep 16, 2016
I have recently changed to Ubuntu 16.04, installed Steam and DotA, updated my NVIDIA driver, using minimal configuration, but still my maximum frames per second is 30. My specs are as follows: Geoforce GT 630M/PCIe/SSE2 Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHZ x 8 8 GB of ram. I used to play DotA on Windows with 40+ FPS and better configurations. How can I fix this problem?
MaCroX95 Sep 18, 2016
Quoting: pottorfI have recently changed to Ubuntu 16.04, installed Steam and DotA, updated my NVIDIA driver, using minimal configuration, but still my maximum frames per second is 30. My specs are as follows: Geoforce GT 630M/PCIe/SSE2 Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHZ x 8 8 GB of ram. I used to play DotA on Windows with 40+ FPS and better configurations. How can I fix this problem?

I will write down the optimizations to help you to get maximum performance that you can with your hardware :)
MaCroX95 Sep 18, 2016
Here is how to maximize your performance on Dota2 for low-end hardware, I managed to get stable 100 fps on lowest settings and stable 60 on a bit higher (i7-3610qm & GT-650m)!

- Uninstall thermald --> terminal: sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove thermald
- Install latest nvidia drivers (I guess you already did this)
- Install Dota2 Vulkan support from Dota2 DLC menu, then right click on Dota2 --> properties --> Set launch options, add "-vulkan" as an argument (without "" )
- Disable intel turbo boost technology:
terminal:
sudo -i
echo "1" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo
exit

- Run Dota2 and set settings to best performance, Valve seem to have really improved the support on their engine even for low-end hardware which is really pleasing to see!

All the settings I've mentioned above will provide you the best performance that you can get on Linux with such a laptop, Turbo boost seems to be causing overheating which leads to CPU throttling so just avoid using it since it showed in my case that I get significant performance increase when it is disabled, and yes you need to disable it every time you reboot the PC or just google about making automatic executables that execute few lines of code, and set them as an app that auto-starts. Remember anything is possible on Linux, you are the master of your computer :D

Do same for all games (if they don't provide vulkan support than just skip that part)

Keep us updated with the results! Best of luck!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.