Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Piracy on Linux.
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
m2mg2 Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: liamdawePut it this way, a very quick search enabled me to find Linux pirated games on a website. It does happen, I've seen it happen and I've had to deleted comments on an article before from a certain user who repeatedly talked pro-piracy without giving a shit.

It happens on all platforms where it's possible to do so.

I stand corrected.
whm1974 Oct 7, 2016
Look I hear you on DRM, bu then again Steam allows me to manage 151 games and due to sales they have going on, I gotten quite a few real cheap.
herycp Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: m2mg2I did have a serious question though. Who has actually seen pirated Linux software, not Windows software people pirated through Wine? If you have how much of it?

I don't want to know where it is as I have no interest in it, I'm just curious if it actually exists in any substantial amount.

want me to get evidence for you

u can see there f1 2015 and new game aragami
Guppy Oct 7, 2016
Speaking of piracy can you even actually buy the Loki version of HoMM3 anywhere?

Bought the "complete" version on gog but that only contains the windows versions, which supposedly works ok with wine - but I'd much rather have it native, how ever it seems that Loki has gone belly up some time ago :(
badber Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: GuppySpeaking of piracy can you even actually buy the Loki version of HoMM3 anywhere?

Bought the "complete" version on gog but that only contains the windows versions, which supposedly works ok with wine - but I'd much rather have it native, how ever it seems that Loki has gone belly up some time ago :(

I don't think you can but from what I hear old Loki ports may also be difficult to even get to work on a recent distro.
wolfyrion Oct 7, 2016
Most of the games that are pirated is because of their drm free versions
For example if you type gog on a torrent site you can get most of the newest games that are already in gog for all OS.

As far as I can say about myself I didnt pirate that much
I had most of the M$ Software their original versions as I was a Microsoft partner paying 300 euro each year for the M$ kit in order to have all their software.
As for gaming I was only playing World of Warcraft in windows so I was paying only subscription + the initial buy of the game.I think I maybe pirated some applications or some games just to test if I like it or not , not that much.

Now on Linux I dont pirate at all , well I dont have the need to buy any special software since most of the things I want to do I can do it with a variety of software that open source provides me.
However I donate as much as I can afford to the projects or the distro I like.
As for games I just support steam purchases or other legal sites that will provide me a steam key. Summer sales and bundles are enough to keep me away from pirating games. Is just not worth to pirate anything for some dollars.

Now as for movies,TV Shows,Anime etc... is another story.
As I dont have much time to watch TV, if I want to watch something I will just find my way to watch it :P
m2mg2 Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: herycp
Quoting: m2mg2I did have a serious question though. Who has actually seen pirated Linux software, not Windows software people pirated through Wine? If you have how much of it?

I don't want to know where it is as I have no interest in it, I'm just curious if it actually exists in any substantial amount.

want me to get evidence for you

u can see there f1 2015 and new game aragami

No I'm good. I just hadn't seen it, and didn't want to look for it. The only pirating I had heard of directly on Linux was Windows stuff using Wine. Should a known if I looked for I'd probably find it.
Ne0 Oct 7, 2016
Pirating Software on Windows is simple - Everything goes in one folder, & everything usually works !
Pirating Software on Unix derivatives is complex - stuff goes into various folders like bin, etc, home; & something usually does NOT work, and therefore requires help from software support team !
herycp Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: wolfyrionMost of the games that are pirated is because of their drm free versions
For example if you type gog on a torrent site you can get most of the newest games that are already in gog for all OS.

no its not only drm-free

u can see pic in my post

there f1 and aragami
and thats not drm-free
wolfyrion Oct 7, 2016
Quoting: herycp
Quoting: wolfyrionMost of the games that are pirated is because of their drm free versions

no its not only drm-free

u can see pic in my post

there f1 and aragami
and thats not drm-free

well Aragami it is DRM FREE

https://www.gog.com/game/aragami

but as for formula 1 2015 I dont know, you have to download it and check it out :P
Unless GOG is preparing a DRM Free or maybe it works without steam?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.