You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
MegaSphere Linux executable goes MIA
M@GOid Oct 9, 2016
The game got a update yesterday and looks like the developer erased the Linux executable by mistake. Even the Beta tab in the games properties is missing.

The developer seems to not believe in my report. Looks like he didn't want to check if something is wrong or do not have a Linux machine to test the builds.

I have erased and reinstalled the game twice (is less than 200 MB). But the Linux executable is still missing.

Is anybody having the same issue?
Dax Tailor Oct 9, 2016
I just installed the demo version and this one works fine.

Things you could check is if the executable file has the executable attribute set. There could also be a problem with the letter cases of the file name. Had this problem with an other game once. Often, windows developer don't pay attention how there write the file names.

The demo has to executables: MegaSphereDemo.x86 and MegaSphereDemo.x86_64
I guess the full version has the same without the 'Demo' part. Maybe only one is missing and you can play the game by starting the other one?
M@GOid Oct 9, 2016
The developer just said in the Steam forum that he did not have a Linux installation to check the executable... How lazy is that? What cost him to do a partition of his disk and do a simple Ubuntu install?

Anyway, Steam didn't let me install the demo, probably because I already have the full game.

I tried to launch the game in the console, and it cannot find the libXcursor.so.1 library, but I have it installed and other Unity games launch and play just fine.
Nel Oct 9, 2016
According to SteamDB, the executable should be MegaSphereAlpha.x86_64.
https://steamdb.info/app/386340/config/

As Dax Tailor said, check out if it has the same name in your folder.

Also launch it in console with ldd to check out all dependencies:
ldd ./MegaSphereAlpha.x86_64
you'll see if someting is missing.
M@GOid Oct 9, 2016
The developer did a rebuild of this release and the game at last launch, but got stuck in the Unity screen.

Looks like another case of a developer supporting Linux knowing nothing about it, just because Unity have a button to export to Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.