Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Suggestions for games for young children?
Guppy Oct 13, 2016
I would like some suggestions for games to be playing via steam link with a controller by my two sons ( 5 & 3 ).

The games they played so far,

- Action Henk ( cheery graphics, but it just gets way to difficult too fast )
- Bastion ( completed on "no sweat" mode, properly one of their favorite games )
- Tux Kart ( surprisingly they are terrible at this game )
- The Talos Principle ( The older is stuck about midway through building B, with the puzzles becoming too difficult, the younger spends his time running into walls while staring alternatively at the sky or his own feet )
- Portal 2 ( I can't seem to get them to grasp the idea behind the portals )

Lately they spend all their "screen time" playing minecraft on their ipads ( covers that can make the device survive kids are bascially non-existant for android devices ), but some variety would be nice.

So basically I'm looking for a colorful game that you can learn by playing and doesn't punish death too harshly - and is playable with the steamcontroller
MaCroX95 Oct 13, 2016
Am I the only one around here that would LOVE to see a great LEGO Title (new Lego Star Wars for example) instead of some AAA game like Deus Ex or Mad Max? :D I think that we are really lacking games of that genre and they are super fun for kids and some co-op fun with friends.
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2016
Slime Rancher, my kid thought catching slimes and feeding them was awesome. Simple mechanics for kids to grasp.

Also Putt-Putt games.
Guppy Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions!

@MaCroX95
I'd love to see any Lego title on linux, but that is about as likely as windows 11 being a Linux distro ;)

@liamdawe
I'll have another look at Slime rancher, I've been avoiding it because it's early access which in my experience means bad game that will never release and/or drop Linux support.

The Putt-Putt games seems to rely a lot on communicating objectives via speech and unfortunate my sons English vocabulary does not extend much beyond profanity

@Lin_Soldar
The opensource ones you mentioned all require keyboard and mouse IIRC, but in general opensource works fine with the link as long as you let steam launch it.

Guess it comes down to rocket leauge ( singlerplayer / split screen multiplayer ) or slimerancher
ageres Oct 14, 2016
Goat Simulator, Broforce.
MaCroX95 Oct 14, 2016
Quoting: Guppy@MaCroX95
I'd love to see any Lego title on linux, but that is about as likely as windows 11 being a Linux distro ;)

Why do you think that this is the case?

And I think that Windows 11 is never going to happen since MS said that Win10 will be like rolling release of linux... it will be more like service and just getting major updates as the time goes on.
Guppy Oct 14, 2016
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: Guppy@MaCroX95

Why do you think that this is the case?

And I think that Windows 11 is never going to happen since MS said that Win10 will be like rolling release of linux... it will be more like service and just getting major updates as the time goes on.

Most (if not all) of them are distributed by WB, who when they completely failed to deliver batman to Linux figured it was a good idea to add 9 different windows only batman games to my list >_>
HadBabits Oct 14, 2016
Ibb & Obb might be good. It's a co-op platformer that does involve some physics puzzles, but it's pretty mellow and the world is nice and colorful. I honestly got bored with it, but it doesn't seem like a bad game, just too simple and slow paced for me.

Battleblock theater, maybe? a bit more intensive, but really humorous and encourages team work nicely. But the mechanics might be too complex for a 3 year old.
detrout Oct 15, 2016
My just over 3 year old daughter likes to watch me play Stardew Valley. She likes it enough to ask "lets play the sky game". I let her drive the character around a bit, and ask her to try and put the farmer to bed at night which she finds hilarious. She also wants me to eat various fruits.
Guppy Oct 15, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestions!

We are currently trying Slime rancher, which so far seems to entertain them.

It's very much early access tho ( have to delete the configuration before launching the game every time, menus that doesn't work/ look like crap, etc ) but the basic gameplay mechanic seems solid
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.