Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
NIFTY (arcade twin-stick shooter) is in open beta - Linux testers needed
dragbone Oct 23, 2016
Hello Linux gaming enthusiasts!

We (two indie game developers from Switzerland) are getting ready to release our first game NIFTY. We are currently in open beta and could use some more Linux (or macOS) testers. Linux comes in so many flavors it's quite difficult to thoroughly test!

A bit about NIFTY:
NIFTY is a fast paced twin stick shooter reminiscent of old arcade games reinterpreted with voxels. Gather powerups with unique effects and collect better weapons to defeat the ever changing enemies and collect their bits.

NIFTY takes place in a simulated world, inhabited by various programs, all competing for resources (bits). Defeat the other programs to gather their bits and increase your own strength. But take care, the system gets corrupted the more programs get forcefully terminated. Can you survive the evolving programs and the increasing corruption of the system long enough to escape the simulation?

View video on youtube.com

DOWNLOAD

GREENLIGHT
(Each vote helps us to get our game on Steam!)
ysblokje Oct 24, 2016
First things first : thanks for thinking of us !

Downloaded and tried it quickly.

Biggest problem I have right now is that I can select my Logitech F310 but the buttons don't seem to work for some reason.

Fullscreen and support for 1920x1080 resolution would also be nice.

Specs :

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.8.2-1-ARCH
Uptime: 2h 5m
Packages: 1462
Shell: bash 4.3.46
Resolution: 3200x1080
DE: XFCE4
WM: Xfwm4
WM Theme: Paper
GTK Theme: Paper [GTK2]
Icon Theme: Paper
Font: Sans 9
CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 3.3GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
RAM: 2502MiB / 16016MiB
MaCroX95 Oct 24, 2016
@Dragbone, as the above user said, it's really nice to see when developer doesn't forget about one part of the computer users :) I will take a look at the game when I have some more time probably somewhere around the weekend. Keep up the good job and don't mind for 1000 distros :) Just write it for few biggest ones and they will really probably work on all the others :) Let the Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Arch be your references and your games should be completely compatible with pretty much all Linux users since other distros are based on them more or less :)
dragbone Oct 24, 2016
Thanks a lot for testing!

@ysblokje:
Fullscreen and full HD resolution should be available in the options menu (Options > Display > Resolution/Window Mode). You need to hit Enter or the accept button on your gamepad to apply changes (I must admit that this isn't very user friendly). It should list all resolutions that your graphics driver can handle.
You can enable your gamepad in the options menu (Options > Input > Input Device) and customize the mapping if needed (again not very user friendly - I added both these points to our issue tracker).

@MaCroX95:
I guess I'll try to create a Frankenstein Linux monster using all the mentioned distros... what could possibly go wrong :D
MaCroX95 Oct 24, 2016
Quoting: dragboneThanks a lot for testing!

@ysblokje:
Fullscreen and full HD resolution should be available in the options menu (Options > Display > Resolution/Window Mode). You need to hit Enter or the accept button on your gamepad to apply changes (I must admit that this isn't very user friendly). It should list all resolutions that your graphics driver can handle.
You can enable your gamepad in the options menu (Options > Input > Input Device) and customize the mapping if needed (again not very user friendly - I added both these points to our issue tracker).

@MaCroX95:
I guess I'll try to create a Frankenstein Linux monster using all the mentioned distros... what could possibly go wrong :D

I think that you should actually just find a few people here on GOL, one for each of the mentioned distros :) Things would go quickly then and you would have your game pretty much working on all Linux based OSes :) What API is your game using for each platform?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.