Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
How to Raise a Game Popularity on Linux Community?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
CleanWater Nov 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a indie developer. I currently develops games for Linux, but there are not so many users are from this system playing my games right now.

You as Linux gamers, do you have tips or advice for raising a certain game popularity on the Linux community?
Mountain Man Nov 3, 2016
In a word, marketing. You gotta let people know about your game and convince them to buy it. It's one of the fundamental rules of business.
MaCroX95 Nov 3, 2016
Quoting: CleanWaterHi everyone,

I'm a indie developer. I currently develops games for Linux, but there are not so many users are from this system playing my games right now.

You as Linux gamers, do you have tips or advice for raising a certain game popularity on the Linux community?

Hey, I'm glad that you are considering linux as well, probably the biggest reason is that people are getting a lot of AAA titles on Linux and since AAA titles are relatively new to the linux market people are playing them a lot, they didn't have any for literally bunch of years :D. Second reason is probably that it's hard to find games with so many indie games coming out on Steam every day so you should definitely try to promote it and embrace the fact that it is availible on all of the platforms :) You can also let our community know about your games here, probably a lot of people would be glad to check your games :)
CleanWater Nov 3, 2016
Quoting: Mountain ManIn a word, marketing. You gotta let people know about your game and convince them to buy it. It's one of the fundamental rules of business.

Sure it is! But all my marketing efforts results in more and more Windows users buying the games. I wonder if there isn't any place where I could make a more effective marketing targeting the Linux users.

Quoting: MaCroX95Hey, I'm glad that you are considering linux as well, probably the biggest reason is that people are getting a lot of AAA titles on Linux and since AAA titles are relatively new to the linux market people are playing them a lot, they didn't have any for literally bunch of years :D. Second reason is probably that it's hard to find games with so many indie games coming out on Steam every day so you should definitely try to promote it and embrace the fact that it is availible on all of the platforms :) You can also let our community know about your games here, probably a lot of people would be glad to check your games :)

It's a great point. The big companies are finally realizing the potential market they are losing in the Linux community. Of course, hardly an indie can compete toe-to-toe against AAA titles. Also, the recent games' flood makes things hard for gamers to learn about new not-well-known games.

By the way, you can check all my games on this link below.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=CleanWaterSoft

My company goal is to create games for everyone. So, they are developed in a way that they can run in almost any hardware (even some outdated). The best way to afford it was to go towards the retro style. I hope you enjoy it. :D
Mountain Man Nov 3, 2016
Quoting: CleanWaterSure it is! But all my marketing efforts results in more and more Windows users buying the games. I wonder if there isn't any place where I could make a more effective marketing targeting the Linux users.
Truthfully, Linux is still a tiny segment of the gaming market, so any kind of broad marketing will naturally net your more Windows users than Linux users. If you want more Linux users playing your games then you need to take a more targeted approach and put your advertising where Linux users are most likely to see it.
CleanWater Nov 3, 2016
Quoting: Mountain ManTruthfully, Linux is still a tiny segment of the gaming market, so any kind of broad marketing will naturally net your more Windows users than Linux users. If you want more Linux users playing your games then you need to take a more targeted approach and put your advertising where Linux users are most likely to see it.

That's the point! Where? ^_^'
There's also another big point too. It's not only about targeting the game to Linux users, but to Linux users who likes retro gaming and that will be found of the parodic style of my games.
-Daniel-Palacio- Nov 4, 2016
Quoting: CleanWaterHi everyone,

I'm not sure about this, so you should talk to Liam, the site owner. Apparently, in this link you can send a key so that your game is reviewed. After that, when the article is published people will probably start buying the game if they find it interesting enough. Consider that a lot of Linux users visit GOL daily, so I would go down this route if I were you.

I hope my advice is useful.

Thanks for supporting Linux!
Ehvis Nov 4, 2016
Yep. Liam said on twitter that GoL broke 200k unique visitors last month, which is pretty good. Steam is pretty big as well with over a million Linux gamers, but reaching the right people may be tricky. It's a bit of a niche within a niche.
CleanWater Nov 4, 2016
Quoting: SangreDeReptilI'm not sure about this, so you should talk to Liam, the site owner. Apparently, in this link you can send a key so that your game is reviewed. After that, when the article is published people will probably start buying the game if they find it interesting enough. Consider that a lot of Linux users visit GOL daily, so I would go down this route if I were you.

I hope my advice is useful.

Thanks for supporting Linux!

Many thanks for the tip. I just sent one key of each game and also disclosed of the third sequel on Steam Greenlight (which also will support Linux right away in the release). I hope he gets interested on it.

Quoting: Ehvis[...]but reaching the right people may be tricky. It's a bit of a niche within a niche.

Sure it is! I remember in one of my previous marketing efforts, a lot of persons complained about the graphics. "They are so outdated, it looks like a NES game." - Most of them said. I believe they didn't realized it was intentional... ^-^'
MaCroX95 Nov 4, 2016
Quoting: CleanWaterSure it is! I remember in one of my previous marketing efforts, a lot of persons complained about the graphics. "They are so outdated, it looks like a NES game." - Most of them said. I believe they didn't realized it was intentional... ^-^'

It's a completely different game genre, some people prefer old games in style but love to see new stories, characters, mechanics in such games so this genre falls into its' own category. People who comment that graphics is outdated probably don't even have clue about what the gaming today is all about.

I've seen some retro games have great stories and are fun to play and some new ones are dull and don't have any life or uniqeness to them...

This is probably the point of gaming especially on Steam being so open market so all developers can bring their ideas to the market and the users then decide which ones they like and which they don't. Trends seem to be chaning over time too so what is considered good today might not be tomorrow that's why it is so awesome that steam also keeps the old games around.

It's definitely great to see that Valve, Epic games, Unity are pushing gaming towards openness and cross platform and developer friendly support so both all of the users and developers can benefit from that, I also like to see when you guys (devs) embrace cross-platform and I will definitely check out your games in the future when I have some more time for gaming in general :)
PublicNuisance Nov 4, 2016
Demos always help (consumers that is). Also do what you're doing right now. Interacti with Linux gamers on forums. Submit articles about your games to sites like this.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.