Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Steam controller not working with latest steam update
Blurps Dec 13, 2016
Hi,

I'm dealing with a pb. My steam controller doesn't work since the last steam update.
I don't know what to do :'(
I found this post http://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/490123197956024380/?ctp=28 but that doesn't help.
Updating udev rules doesn't fix the pb.

If someone has a solution for me.

PS: using Debian Jessie
Liam Dawe Dec 13, 2016
Paste what rules you have setup for it.
Blurps Dec 13, 2016
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller 
# This rule is needed for basic functionality of the controller in Steam and keyboard/mouse emulation
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# This rule is necessary for gamepad emulation; make sure you replace 'pgriffais' with a group that the user that runs Steam belongs to
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="niqnutn", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"

# Valve HID devices over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# Valve HID devices over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*28DE:*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05c4", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 wireless adapter over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0ba0", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09cc", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:05C4*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:09CC*", MODE="0666"
Liam Dawe Dec 14, 2016
Well, for one thing the suggested file by Valve is:
/lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules
Try that and see if it works then, you may need to reboot for it to properly take effect.
Blurps Dec 14, 2016
My controller is alive again.

I changed the udev rules name (/etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller.rules) but I'm not sure it's related.
Even with this name, the controller didn't respond at first.
I tried with usb/wireless, steam big picture/window mode, switching on/off the controller and try pairing in controller settings and it finally works.
I really don't know what makes the difference.
Matt3223 Dec 16, 2016
Hmmm, I seem to be having this same issue on Ubuntu 16.10... seemed like the 99-steam-controller rules were gone in /lib/udev... saw somewhere to install steam-devices... which I did, which also seemed to replace the rules but still no dice.

Will try rebooting and "adding" from within Steam a few times and hope I get lucky too.
donbastiano Dec 16, 2016
If I'm not wrong, I don't have any rule and the controller worked fine until the latest update. I'm on the stable release on 14.04. Any idea? Is the rule mandatory? If so, why is not automatically created?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.