You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Special screen modes for gaming
Ehvis Jan 4, 2017
I recently got myself a fresh 3440x1440 monitor. Very nice, but the obviously problem is that my GPU won't be pushing all those pixels for every game. I can easily set it to 2560x1440, but for some games even that is too much.

To fix that I was trying to get reduced resolution modes. However, since I despise scaling, I want them to stick to native pixels. This is not a problem in theory. I can use nvidia settings to create a smaller resolution viewport on a higher resolution screen and place it anywhere and have the unused space black. I'm sure I can do that with xrandr as well.

The problem is these viewport aren't really recognised by games. Unity3D games use it if you don't touch the settings. But Feral games only list the modes that xrandr lists prepare a full screen frame which gets placed only partially in the viewport. Also, I don't really want to be doing this manually.

Does anybody know if you can get these modes with smaller viewports registered as a screen mode that I can select in games?
Ehvis Jan 5, 2017
If I do that, the mode scales to fullscreen. If it works at all, because xrandr started complaining on addmode.
Ehvis Jan 5, 2017
Everything I tried upscales so at least the horizontal or vertical size fits the entire screen. Basically, what I want is to have the xrandr --fb and --panning attached to a mode so that a game can select full screen 1920x1080, but the system actually selects "mode 3440x1440 --fb 1920x1080 --panning 1920x1080+760+100" (possibly some more options).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.