Kotor 2 system freeze/lag
easydrone Jan 6, 2017
Hi everyone, I am having problems with Kotor 2. After deciding to finally play through that game (which I almost finished years ago under Windows) I installed it yesterday and everything went smooth... for the most part.

System specs: Intel G3260, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD6770, Arch Linux w/ Kernel 4.8, OSS drivers

The issue I am having is not really game-breaking but very annoying. Kotor2 does lock up my system for 1-5 seconds (rarely also longer than that) at seemingly random times. The margin between these freezes/lock-ups varies from mere seconds to minutes -- on average I'd say once every 2-3 minutes at least -- and they affect the whole system even if the game is in the background or just at the inventory/main menu. Sometimes the game even runs fine for a long time (~10 minutes) just to delve into chaos at another; there is no pattern I can see as to how or when it happens, even after going through the first parts of the game multiple times.

At first I suspected the graphics card driver but now I am not sure anymore. Things I tried: using the integrated Intel graphics card, not using any mods, changing in-game options, reinstalling the game (on another hard drive too), checking system logs (not too much in here except a X error every time it happens: "SYN DROPPED event from Mouse/Keyboard"), searching on the web (not found anything applicable to me, could also be I am selectively blind or dull-witted), monitoring my system.

I know there are still things I could try but this is the only program/game with this kind of bug. I can still play other 3D games without issues and have not encountered other issues with my system. Since I'm at a total loss here, any help is appreciated.
Liam Dawe Jan 6, 2017
We need more information, what driver version are you using and where did you get it from? It's probably a driver bug in the OSS driver stack.
easydrone Jan 6, 2017
lspci: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 6770]

Xorg:
(II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 7.8.0
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0

glxinfo:
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.13-1-ARCH, LLVM 3.9.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.2

Edit: 3D Driver is r600g.

As I said, I also used the Intel card which uses same Mesa version, thing is I do not know how to debug OpenGL problems. Tried using apitrace (32bit) which generates a trace ok but wasnt able to dump/replay somehow. Swap should not be an issue, also tried the game on openbox instead of gnome with 2/8 GB RAM used. CPU and GPU temperatures stay below 45°C.

Edit 2: Mesa 13.0.3 update just installed, problem persists.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.