You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Problems Playing Half-Life: Blue Shift using Xash3D
Botonoski Jan 27, 2017
While playing the native steam version of Half-Life, I noticed on my hardware it was only running at an average of 40-50 fps and dipped even lower on occasions. Which was less than half the FPS I got when playing it through Windows on the same hardware. So, I figured I'd screw around with Xash3d a bit to see if I could get better performance.
And I did, I got a good average of 80-100 fps, but there were a few issues, menu sliders worked, but were missing graphics making it a bit of a guessing game when adjusting mouse sensitivity and such. There were also no sound effects when clicking on menu buttons. Worst of all however, The steam version of Half-Life: Blue Shift would not run at all, only spitting "Segmentation Fault" to console before quitting. The Steam version of Opposing Force ran without issue however, menu sliders and all.
I thought perhaps this issue was caused by the steam versions themselves as they are quite different from the original CD retail versions that Xash3d seems to be based off of. So, I installed Half Life and Blue Shift through wine, updated the game to the 1.1.1.0 patch, copied the necessary data folders ('valve' and 'bshift' ), then merged them with the Steam versions (The steam files replacing the Retail files, not the other way around).
This fixed the minor issues with Half-Life, but Blue Shift still immediately quit when started. When using only the CD version files, I get the error:
Quotecl_dlls/client.so: cannot open shared object library: No such file or directory
Then the game starts, but without the option to start or load a new game. When only supplementing client.so from the Steam Version of Blue-Shift (Rest of the files being from the CD release), it still immediately quits with the Segmentation Fault. When doing the opposite of before and replacing the steam files with the CD files on top, it again, still quits with the Segmentation Fault.

To me, it seems like Blue Shift's client.so is to blame, somehow being incompatible with Xash3D. The way I compiled Xash3D, sending the argument "-DXASH_DLL_LOADER=yes" to cmake before building seems to imply that the DLL libraries, like client.dll, will somehow be usable on Linux, but considering the issues I'm having this either isn't the case, or I missed some vital instructions on how to get them to load. Anyone got any insight on how to fix this issue?
Botonoski Feb 3, 2017
While I did not solve the issue with Xash3d, I did find what was causing performance issues on the steam versions of half-life. It was quite simple really, by default the game doesn't actually play in your selected resolution; Instead it upscales the selected resolution to the native resolution of your desktop which for whatever reason my computer didn't like much. When I disabled this, my frame rate went from 50 to 150.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.