Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution, crash on archlinux
Dax Tailor Jan 29, 2017
Hello,

a while ago I bought "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution" for linux. The Game works with Ubuntu (Mint) but I can't get it running on archlinux.
The game will start but after I give my first move order, the game freezes after about 10 second and about 30 seconds later the game exit.
I wrote a while ago to feral about this but of cause archlinux is not supported and the NVidia driver I use is not too.
If someone has an idea how to solve this problem, besides using a dual boot system. (Funny, now that many don't need a dual boot with linux and windows anymore, we have to start dual booting different linux distributions:)

My system: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz, Kernel-Version: 4.8.13-1-ARCH, Desktop: i3wm, GPU NVidia GTX970 Driver 375.26.

(BTW, there is an other game I can't run anymore: "Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun")
Dax Tailor Jan 29, 2017
Thank for the idea playing around with the sound. I could not find a switch to disable the sound so I checked the feral start script and found an option --system-asound which can be set in the feral launcher. However the only difference was that the game does not exit after freezing.
I did some more experimenting with strace and gdb and every time the game freezes gdb told me that has something to do with malloc. Looks like there is a deadlock of some kind. The next test was, coping the libc.so.6 from my older linux-mint folder into the libs game folder but the game is still freezing.
Then I took a closer lock at the start script and found that in case the catalyst driver was found, a tcmalloc lib was loaded. Giving it a try and to my surprise the game now works. Did not played much but at least I managed to reach the first base point :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.