Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Unity Engine for Linux?
alexThunder May 16, 2012
I just read the latest Project Update for Wasteland 2 and found this part particular interesting:

QuoteAt first it seemed to be missing a leg on point 2 (support for Linux platform), but I knew that we could get source code and therefore could provide the Linux port ourselves. Given that the engine is designed and structured to support multiple platforms, I felt it would not be insurmountable to port it to Linux (or actually hire some outstanding external contractors we’ve used before to do the job). After talking to Unity about this, we found they’ve already been working on a Linux port, so Unity is supplying inXile the Linux port alpha source code. InXile will work with Unity in order to port Wasteland 2 to Linux.

Did I miss something? The last I heard from Unity is, that they didn't plan to port the engine Oo
Hamish May 17, 2012
They already had an internal Linux version for Unity, but they just did not care to release it until now. I guess InXile managed to twist their arm.
Cheeseness May 17, 2012
It's interesting. I'm wondering whether or not this will go back upstream and encourage official Unity Linux releases.
Alex V.Sharp May 17, 2012
Like I already said in another chat: Those Unity folks got some nerve all right. If I recall correctly, the Unity team have indeed never officially supported Linux. The development was done in their spare time and caused a stir due to an information leak. However later on they announced that their focus has shifted towards the Chrome Native Client as it somewhat makes sense in the long run. This is, in my opinion, not a valid reason not to take additional steps to finish porting to last widely-used PC operating system and perhaps could've been handled differently. As far as Wasteland is concerned, they say they want to be cross-platform and use an engine that fits their needs best (ease of use by artists and designers, support and expertise from vendors, mod-compatible, 3D rendering, etc.) so after going over many offers they've decided to go with Unity cause it meets "all" the requirements. This only means that they've gotten the code exclusively to compile themselves for their game, and as far as I know the code is in alpha, meaning it's a long way from being finished. But like it was said on Twitter: they have a whole year ahead of them to finish it, so we shall see. I choose cautious optimism.

As for the Unity Linux, I have my doubts about it. The company's clearly made up its mind about what to focus on, and let's face it: Other than Fargo, developers using Unity seem to care more about new features than going to Linux. No developers support = no port.
MaximB May 17, 2012
I was kinda disappointed by their choice, I was hoping they won't go with Unigine which supported Linux from the start.
But I guess a Linux support of Unity is a good thing too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.