Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Mount and Blade Warband
calfret Apr 10, 2017
I saw Mount and Blade Warband on sale over at gog.com. I downloaded it onto my Dell Inspiron laptop running Ubuntu Mate 16.10. Could not get it to load at all. Ran it from the terminal to see what's up and it gives me an error about a missing file. Libqt4? I forget which one off the top of my head, but I googled it and ran across several articles talking about 32 bit libraries not present in 64 bit OS's. So I ran apt and tacked on :i386 on the end. It went thru the rigamarole, and I did have a change. I was finally able to run the config, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I tried running the start.sh thru the terminal, and it gives me a similar error, but with a different file. glew-somethin-or-nother.so.4 is missing. So I tried installing the glew-dev package to no avail. When I get home this afternoon I will update with the exact files missing since I don't have a firm enough grasp on what they are or why they are important.

I just wanted to reach out and see if any of this is a familiar common issue with that particular game, and I wanted to know if there was a common fix for this problem.
tuubi Apr 10, 2017
At the right-hand side of the GOG.com page for the game you can see the list of required packages for Ubuntu. Just run sudo apt install libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libqtgui4:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libglew1.10:i386 and you should be all set.
calfret Apr 10, 2017
Sweet! I was hoping something like that existed! I never knew gog posted the required dependencies. This helps a bunch! I will give it all a go once I get home and see if it is squared away.
calfret Apr 11, 2017
Ok folks, for posterity's sake I am going to post the end result here.

Special thanks to tuubi who let me know about the listed required packages on GOG's website. I went home yesterday and successfully installed the required packages... almost.

libglew1.10:i386 is apparently no longer maintained in Ubuntu's repositories. They have libglew1.13:i386, but that did not make the game work. I thought about finding the specific files in libglew1.13 and creating a link called libglew1.10 to trick the game into using the library, but I don't enough about it to find all the required files and link them using the 1.10 name. So I put libglew1.10:i386 into duckduckgo and stumbled upon the package in a Ubuntu page for an older distro. I couldn't figure out how to add the mirror properly to the source.list file under apt, so I just manually downloaded the package directly and opened it from the gui file manager (Is it Caja?).

Long story short, I got it installed and the game works properly! Yay! So, for all you guys out there doing an internet search years from now, this is how I fixed it. Good luck!
tuubi Apr 11, 2017
Quoting: calfretSpecial thanks to tuubi who let me know about the listed required packages on GOG's website.
Glad to help. :)
slaapliedje Apr 11, 2017
Interesting. Even on Steam it requires the Qt libraries to be installed so that the configuration dialog works. Anyone up for some multiplayer mayhem on this game?

I know the latest patch was supposed to be this huge HD texture pack, but for me it looked the same as it's always looked, though that may be my eyes / memory deceiving me, since I have been playing For Honor, which is a shit game in comparison, but looks very beautiful.

Can't wait for Mount and Blade 2.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.