Morrowind - how to
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
razing32 May 1, 2017
Recently asked about Dwarf Fortress advice and got some good advice.
Curios about how people recommend I play Morrowind.

Is Wine better or openMW ?
Should I use some mods to overcome the shortcomings ? In the past people recommended (on some forums I googled) always hit mod , boat in every harbor and another one I forget.

Any character builds work better for beginners ? I was thinking Orc warrior with Heavy armor and Sword skills. Tried that a bit a while back but not sure if it is best.
Colombo May 2, 2017
1. openMW is actually more stable and bug-free than original MW, you will avoid some bugs in Wine as well. Unfortunately, some of the big mod compilations, especially if they relied on injections and modifications of current memory, wont work.

2. Mods. Anything you find interesting and increasing you pleasure from playing game. Note that lack of fast transport is not entirely bug, but feature. Putting fast transport everywhere might not be logical from world point of view. Fortunately, Morrowind has dedicated base of fans that like the role and mods are often created with heavy emphasize on lore.
Look at this: http://lgnpc.org/home

I like also modification that makes enchanting easier. Enchanting table. I think that Skyrim made the right choice by enabling everyone to make relatively useful enchantments. Enchanting and crafting is fun, if you are not forced into it and number of crafting items is relatively limited (so they don't make your inventory full, especially when recipes are not known and there are a lot of useless items, Divinity made this annoying mistake)

3. Anything you want. Anything you would consider fun.

Morrowind is not hard game. Its not something with fail conditions, really. Its more of a playground, realm where you experience stuff. The aim is not to defeat someone (it is not usually a problem), the aim is to enjoy game and its stories.

That is quite fundamental difference from a lot of other games and players who consider Dark Souls as example of "good RPG" won't probably consider Morrowind a good game at all. See a lot of critique of Skyrim (how easy Skyrim is, how easy it is to get best gear), which is from my point of view, completely unfounded.

Also, Morrowind has much better NPC levelling, most NPCs are set to specific level and randomly spawned ones have relatively small range of levels on which they spawn. So you won't see rat on 45 level that can still easily beat you, if you don't have powerbuild, like in Oblivion, but stronger NPC might spawn in dangerous areas, especially around Red Mountain.
Shmerl May 2, 2017
OpenMW is getting there, but development has slowed lately, and some features are still missing.
Nor Mantis May 2, 2017
OpenMW is very playable, I have played a lot of Morrowind and had no issues. The only thing I have seen missing are graphic's eg. proper shadows (could be in the game now). If you have the game, give OpenMW a try. They have done a very good job with it.

Mentioned above Morrowind is not a hard game, so build a character you want. Sneak can be a fun mechanic. Become a vampire or werewolf? The challenge in Morrowind is that it does not hold your hand. It expects you to figure out where to go, read the street signs, follow directions. This is the part of the game I love.

If you purchased the GOG version it has the guide with it. That may come in handy if you get stuck.
razing32 May 2, 2017
Wow.
Thanks gang , you did not disappoint :)

I do have the GOG version so will download that , install via wine and load the files with openMW

Will then see about mod plugins and what works and does not work with openMW. Truly the always hit mod is the one I would really want. Hated when I bashed enemies but did not do damage. I get the mechanic but the lack of audio-visual feedback kills it for me.

Quoting: ColomboMorrowind is not hard game. Its not something with fail conditions, really.

I heard the exact opposite actually. From what I heard , purists like it becauseof the freedom and the fact that you can kill main NPCs. You get a warning you screwed the main quest , but that's it. Go nuts.

Quoting: Nor MantisBecome a vampire or werewolf?

Did not know you could do a werewolf. Thought that was only in Skyrim. Whelp , something to look forward to I guess. That and save scumming when I inevitably contract Lycanthropism and can't find a cure.
Nor Mantis May 3, 2017
Becoming a werewolf was introduced into Morrowind with the Bloodmoon expansion.
Colombo May 3, 2017
QuoteI heard the exact opposite actually. From what I heard , purists like it because of the freedom and the fact that you can kill main NPCs. You get a warning you screwed the main quest , but that's it. Go nuts.
Uh? This is what I said. Not a hard game, its not about challenge brought be game, its about challenges brought by you. I usually RP. You usually do not have quest choices (more ways how to do certain quest), but you have plenty of choices which quests you will do.
razing32 May 3, 2017
Quoting: Colombo
QuoteI heard the exact opposite actually. From what I heard , purists like it because of the freedom and the fact that you can kill main NPCs. You get a warning you screwed the main quest , but that's it. Go nuts.
Uh? This is what I said. Not a hard game, its not about challenge brought be game, its about challenges brought by you. I usually RP. You usually do not have quest choices (more ways how to do certain quest), but you have plenty of choices which quests you will do.

No , that;s no what i meant.
I was trying to say there is a "fail" state if you kill off plot important NPCs.
Thats all.
razing32 May 4, 2017
Quoting: ColomboLook at this: http://lgnpc.org/home

Question. Is this stable ? Looks like it is still under development and cant find anything on openmw about its compatibility. Should I just use the completed ESP files for settlements or are all ok ?
razing32 May 4, 2017
OK , for anyone wondering decided to go for 3 things to make my life easier :

1.Accurate Attack
2.Deluxe Map
3.Ring of Weightless Touch

To Vvardenfell I go :)
Colombo May 4, 2017
Its still under development, but it is bug free and many submods are finished.

Also, to the previous post. The fact that you don't have "Game Over" and that there is even alternative way of finishing game if you kill Vivec (although bit harder) and the fact that many players did not finished main quest at all and that there is no game-over except when you died, suggest that morrowind is a bit more lenient on the "fail" state.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.