Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
OpenRCT2
dodrian May 10, 2017
I'm attempting to install OpenRCT2 but can't find an up-to-date install guide anywhere. Downloaded the latest stable version from the website, attempting to run it I got a bunch of errors which I fixed by installing various packages but got stuck on this one:
./openrct2: error while loading shared libraries: libzip.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

According to my package manager I have libzip2 installed.

I'm running the latest Linux Mint. Has anyone had any success getting OpenRct2 to work?
Ketil May 10, 2017
First, check if the package manager has a package called libzip4 (that's the name in ubuntu 16.04), or maybe it's just called libzip. I recommend not symlinking versioned libraries to the wrong version because they change the version when they have made changes making them incompatible. It might run, but do something unexpected at runtime.

If mint doesn't have the right version of libzip, then recompiling is much better. I'd try compiling it myself according to these instructions. I assume the ubuntu instructions won't need many changes. For opensource games I usually download the git repository at latest release tag, and compile myself if the distribution I use doesn't provide the latest version fast enough.
Avehicle7887 May 10, 2017
Hmm strange, I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 and the package "libzip4" is installed by default.

If you want a quick easy solution, I made you a portable version of this library (it was taken from the Ubuntu 16.04 repo) with which you can run the game without installing the package in your system.

The Link is from my google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5Xv02Yq2HrcnE1ekdPWF9VWGc/view?usp=sharing

Just extract it into your OpenRCT2 folder and click on "play_orct2.sh" to run.

Disclaimer: I know some people might be wary about downloading files from strangers. I've been doing portable libraries for the past couple of years for the GOG community, normally targeting *buntu / *buntu based distros.

A few of my other projects:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/modern_linux_patches_for_id_software_classics
https://www.gog.com/forum/unreal_series/unreal_tournament_2004_easy_setup_for_linux
https://www.gog.com/forum/unreal_series/unreal_tournament_99_goty_easy_setup_for_linux
https://www.gog.com/forum/mount_blade_series/mount_blade_warband_linux_mint_easy_setup
dodrian May 10, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I managed to install libzip4 (it's not in the Mint Repos for some reason) - I no longer get that error when launching the binary, instead it now says:
dodrian@dodrian-desktop ~ $ openrct2 
/home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2)
/home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2)
/home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /home/dodrian/.config/OpenRCT2/bin/openrct2)

No idea what that's about. Ran apt-get upgrade and checked that libstdc++6 is installed. Still no luck.

I tried following the build instructions from the Wiki, it appears to have come back to a libzip error again.

Spoiler, click me

dodrian@dodrian-desktop /home/media/OpenRCT2-0.0.7/build $ cmake ..
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Unsupported CFLAG: -Wno-error=date-time
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wno-error=date-time
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wnull-dereference
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wsuggest-final-types
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wsuggest-final-methods
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wsuggest-override
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wduplicated-cond
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wredundant-decls
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wignored-qualifiers
-- Unsupported CXXFLAG: -Wstrict-overflow=1
-- checking for module 'libzip>=1.0'
--   package 'libzip>=1.0' not found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:283 (message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:337 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  CMakeLists.txt:318 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Unless y'all think I'm doing something obviously stupid I guess I'll stick to running RCT2 under wine for now. God bless PlayOnLinux!
dodrian May 10, 2017
@Avehicle7887

Thanks for trying to help! I saw your post after writing my previous reply, your script is giving me the libstdc++.so.6 errors again :-/

Wondering what I've done to mess up my system :D. Maybe it's time to try Arch after Liam's articles recommending it!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.