Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Red Dwarf runs on Linux!
Hamish Oct 12, 2012
As I mentioned I showed in the "Show your desktop" thread, I was quite looking forward to Red Dwarf X, the new series of Red Dwarf that had finally been made after a long and significant hiatus. I quite liked the opener "Trojan" that aired last week, but I must admit that I was a little bit disappointed by last night's followup "Fathers and Suns". However, on a repeat viewing we discovered something surprising:

[ATTACH=full]403[/ATTACH]

Red Dwarf runs on Linux! Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop in fact. Which is not that surprising come to think of it, cosndering that IBM's Watson runs on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11.

You can also see the bootscreen in an image from Ganymede and Titan's review of the episode:
http://www.ganymede.tv/2012/10/red-dwarf-x-fathers-suns-review/

Plus I watched the trailer for next week's episode and laughed so hard I almost herniated myself, so things can not be that bad. Good things are ahead!
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2012
I used to love it but i never managed to watch it all so i wouldn't have a clue what is going on in the newer series.
Hamish Oct 13, 2012
To be honest, you do not really have to since it's gone back to the basics as it were. Most of the changes in Series VII and Series VIII have been written out and it is just Lister, Rimmer, Cat, and Kryten alone on Red Dwarf again, played up for comedy. Although the final episode is supposed to bridge the gap continuity wise between Series VIII and this Series and BTE, so that one could be hard to follow, but it does try to be somewhat self-contained.
Hamish Oct 19, 2012
This week's was actually pretty brilliant; the cast were on their best form since 1993 (although I got a very Series III vibe from all of them) and it was actually a very nice and subtle script, much more in line with earlier Dwarf. Not as many woofers as in Trojan (although it did have a few!) but a very decent and clever episode. A really shame some people are having so much trouble looking past it's premise to see that though.

I know no one really seems to care about my fanboy gushing, but I have to rant somewhere. ;)
storma Oct 22, 2012
Hey, I appreciate your rant, I was a big fan of Red dwarf back in the day and didn't realise it had come back. Cheers. :D
theweirdn8 Nov 2, 2012
Natively?
Hamish Nov 2, 2012
Quoting: "theweirdn8, post: 6060, member: 267"Natively?

I am not sure what you mean... it is a TV show.
Liam Dawe Nov 3, 2012
It might have been a joke Hamish :)
theweirdn8 Nov 5, 2012
Oops, misread some stuff. LOL.
theweirdn8 Nov 5, 2012
SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST.
Hamish Feb 23, 2013
Speaking of such things, how about a belated happy 25th for Red Dwarf?
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2013/02/15/silver-dwarf/

Still waiting to get my hands on the Series X DVD so I can get a look at some of the smeg-ups. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.