Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Do you think wayland/vulkan will make better ports on linux ?
Voltage Aug 28, 2017
Hello, I'm really Hyped about the combo wayland / Vulkan.
I would be happy if games porters think it will make their work easier.

What did you hear about it ?
MaCroX95 Aug 28, 2017
@mirv Well said!

@Voltage also note that Vulkan sure is an incredibly powerful tool but doesn't neccessarily mean that people will use it correctly. If the developers put the time and effort to develop Vulkan optimized title, it should run well across the board, however if they port to it from other APIs and don't really fine tune it it could be terrible... So really while the tool itself is awesome it doesn't neccessarily bring improvements by default. However it enables developers to have better tools for development of multi-platform titles :)
Kuduzkehpan Aug 29, 2017
Vulkan = easy driver development, direct hardware control, DX GL developer friendly, high performance, Good community and support.
true cross-platform. it almost works on milking machines with some hacking. (even tho this machines has no video output.)
but Not mature yet still improving faster than anything making porting efforts easy.
Wayland = just a graphic server altarnative to xorg. nor a part of it neither the component. Still impacts on performance. and it should be standart for distros. then we will start benefit it natively.
Voltage Aug 29, 2017
Thanks for answering me, and so clearly.
Linux have good days incoming.

Cheers
Voltage
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.