Life is Strange : Before the storm No linux rant
janpan Aug 30, 2017
I am so upset that Life is Strange : Before the storm has no linux support and no planned linux support.

I really want to play this game on linux but I might give in and buy it for Windows and dust off the old windows hdd just for this. Can we all just gather around with our torches and pitchforks and head straight to the developer's offices.

I made a post about it on steam but it has since grown into a hangout place for trolls http://steamcommunity.com/app/554620/discussions/0/1471966894879507241/
Liam Dawe Aug 30, 2017
Considering Feral ported the previous one I do hope they port this one. It's a brand new game, so I do suggest holding out a few months to see what happens.

There's plenty of other games while you wait :)

I suggest keeping cool. Pitchforks will only do one thing: annoy a developer. Don't be silly about it.

Support Linux games and just don't buy it for now. Saying you want a Linux version but buying it anyway for Windows only further improves Windows gaming.
janpan Aug 30, 2017
Yeah I guess you are right :)
Ehvis Aug 30, 2017
Tomorrow, when the game releases, the depots/branches/configs will become visible on SteamDB and we can see if there really are no hints yet. That's how Deus Ex MD became known.
janpan Aug 30, 2017
Quoting: EhvisTomorrow, when the game releases, the depots/branches/configs will become visible on SteamDB and we can see if there really are no hints yet. That's how Deus Ex MD became known.

Thanks for this.
PublicNuisance Aug 31, 2017
Quoting: janpanI am so upset that Life is Strange : Before the storm has no linux support and no planned linux support.

I really want to play this game on linux but I might give in and buy it for Windows and dust off the old windows hdd just for this. Can we all just gather around with our torches and pitchforks and head straight to the developer's offices.

I made a post about it on steam but it has since grown into a hangout place for trolls http://steamcommunity.com/app/554620/discussions/0/1471966894879507241/

First off it took over 19 months for Life is Strange to make it to Linux so what makes you think it will take less time for the sequel ?

Secondly, and this is why pitchforks are rarely a good idea, you're going after the wrong people !!!!

Have you noticed that the developers of the original not only didn't work on the Linux version, as has been mentioned, but also aren't working on the sequel ? The publisher is the same but not the developer. This means the publisher controls the IP. This means that getting angry at a developer that has zero control over these decisions will get you nowhere. If you are going to yell at a company make sure to yell at the right one and in this case that is Square Enix.
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2017
Quoting: PublicNuisance
Quoting: janpanI am so upset that Life is Strange : Before the storm has no linux support and no planned linux support.

First off it took over 19 months for Life is Strange to make it to Linux so what makes you think it will take less time for the sequel ?

Secondly, and this is why pitchforks are rarely a good idea, you're going after the wrong people !!!!

Have you noticed that the developers of the original not only didn't work on the Linux version, as has been mentioned, but also aren't working on the sequel ? The publisher is the same but not the developer. This means the publisher controls the IP. This means that getting angry at a developer that has zero control over these decisions will get you nowhere. If you are going to yell at a company make sure to yell at the right one and in this case that is Square Enix.
Slight fix here. The original developers are working on the sequel (or season 2). The prequel however, is a different developer.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Never do pitchforks because a game isn't coming to Linux, unless they failed a promise of course, in this case there's none of that.
janpan Aug 31, 2017
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: PublicNuisance

Slight fix here. The original developers are working on the sequel (or season 2). The prequel however, is a different developer.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Never do pitchforks because a game isn't coming to Linux, unless they failed a promise of course, in this case there's none of that.

Thx for the info. And yes, I was just joking about the pitchforks. I am a developer myself :)
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2017
Never can be too sure, there are some crazy attitudes going around at times ;)
prosoor Aug 31, 2017
It is only a first episode and it is 17 euro and it doesn't support Linux.
Real value is maybe 5$, and even then I would haggle for less...
If you buy at this price then you don't support Linux gaming.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.