You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Alt+Tabbing out of games
Liam Dawe Mar 13, 2013
Hey everyone I am wandering if anyone can enlighten me on this.

It seems on Windows you can pretty much alt+tab out of almost any game and get back into it with ease. This is something that has been annoying me under Linux, very few games allow me to do that.

Any idea why it's so bad under Linux? Is it based on window manager, games development kit, what?
Mar 13, 2013
As far as I am aware it's how the game interacts with X itself. Something like going directly to the display server rather than through the window manager.
muntdefems Mar 13, 2013
It's not exactly Alt-Tab, and I cannot guarantee it working on non-debian-based distros, but here's a workaround for this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101504

I haven't tried the launcher GUI, I'm only using the manual way, but it works nicely on my Ubuntu Quantal 64bit. :)
Mar 14, 2013
That's pretty much exactly what I do if I know I will need my desktop. Just start a second X server, startx --:1 from TTY2 opens a second X server on TTY8 for me, so I can just use ctrl+alt+F8 to get to a desktop.

If you wanted to have firefox open on that display though, you would need to make sure it was closed on your regular X.

I don't see much point in wrapping that around a script though personally.
Hamish Mar 15, 2013
SDL supports going out of a game by pressing Alt-Enter and then releasing the mouse with Ctrl-G. I have also heard that SDL2 has features that are trying to improve Alt-Tab support, and that it already should show in Valve's game ports (as they did have the foresight to promote SDL2). Torchlight also uses SDL2.
Mar 15, 2013
Quoting: HamishSDL supports going out of a game by pressing Alt-Enter and then releasing the mouse with Ctrl-G. I have also heard that SDL2 has features that are trying to improve Alt-Tab support, and that it already should show in Valve's game ports (as they did have the foresight to promote SDL2). Torchlight also uses SDL2.

To be fair, I can super-a (my alt-tab) out of all of Valves games without an issue already -- though I've not tried alt-enter, that's *usually* the fullscreen switch on Windows games.
Liam Dawe Mar 15, 2013
Ah so the Valve titles are using SDL2? I was wandering how they alt+tab so perfectly compared to a lot of other games!
hardpenguin Aug 18, 2013
Quoting: muntdefemsIt's not exactly Alt-Tab, and I cannot guarantee it working on non-debian-based distros, but here's a workaround for this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101504

I haven't tried the launcher GUI, I'm only using the manual way, but it works nicely on my Ubuntu Quantal 64bit. :)
How to make it much more simple:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Running_program_in_separate_X_display

I cannot game without xrun ;)

tuxisagamer Oct 17, 2013
Most games also support alt+enter to go in and out of full screen.
Half-Shot Oct 18, 2013
Ive had issues in good ol Gnome where TF2 will shrink its window if you alt tab while its loading and so when you come back to it its trying to render 1080p graphics inside a 640x480 window. I found that enough clicking in and out of the window brings it back. I guess this is another reason why we need wayland.
Hamish Oct 18, 2013
Maybe not Wayland as I was under the impression that this was something is handled by and fixed in SDL2.

Not that we needed any more reasons to support Wayland. ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.