You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Third party Xbox 360 wireless receiver
lemoncitron Mar 12, 2018
My Original Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless dongle just died on me and im looking for a cheap replacement. Anyone using one of those knock off receivers you can buy on amazon? "HDE USB Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver" is one that seems popular, it specifically states doesn't support Linux but i assume they may have just slapped that on there.
Guppy Mar 13, 2018
I've bought one that looks just like that (apart from the logo) Linux registers it, and it shows with lsusb - but apart from that it does f.. all. I ended up smashing it open just to verify it actually had any kind of circuit inside.

Granted that's a sample size of 1 - all I'm saying is find out the return policy before you buy ;) It's no fun realizing that return postage (which you must pay your self) exceeds the price of the item.
chui2ch Mar 13, 2018
I'm using a Zettagaurd wireless receiver for xbox 360 controllers. I purchased it from Amazon in 2015 for 9 dollars. It is currently unavailable on amazon, but I would think something similar would work. if you can find the zettagaurd from another site I would recommend it.
lemoncitron Mar 15, 2018
Thanks for the info. Ordered one on amazon so ill be able to return it easy enough. Searching through the comments i found two people who did state it worked with linux with 'xboxdrv' userspace driver.
lemoncitron Apr 17, 2018
After some tinkering with it, i found that it was useless. Only seemed to be able to stay connected for a minute or 2tops before dropping the connection and having to reconnect to the receiver again. Buying an official Microsoft one off craigslist.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.