You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Publishers talking about their Linux numbers
HerrLange May 1, 2018
Not sure if this is the right category. I know sometimes there are News with this topic - but I just want to let you here in this thread as this might be interesting for you:

In Steam disucssion (in german) https://steamcommunity.com/app/599010/discussions/0/1696045708660627461/ a member of Assemble Entertainment, named AssembleGames-Whitman is talking about the chance getting a Linux port for the hanseatic League.

He is stating the game is using the unity engine. It looks like they droped the Linux support a while ago. AssembleGames-Whitman is mentioning that supoporting Linux does not pay off. He brings the poor Linux sales for Pizza Connection 3 as a reason. Just 0.33% were Linux. In total (all systems) PC3 has sold a 5 digit number.

In the discussion it also showed up that they accidentially released a Linux version as well on Steam. A user is providing a scrrenshot for prooving this.

This is just my speculation and observation: They removed SteamOS/Linux closely after the PC3 release (a week or so). Even the first press releases were mentioning SteamOS. I think they really dropped this due to the poor Linux numbers of PC3.

AssembleGames-Whitman is not mentioning how big the effort of supporting Linux is/was or what technical issues they have experienced.

However, looks like this Publisher is lost for Linux.

Edit: Typos
Liam Dawe May 1, 2018
Shame, but "Overall Reviews: Mostly Negative" for Hanse - The Hanseatic League doesn't exactly seem like it's a great game anyway.

Now onto Pizza Connection 3, which also has "Overall Reviews: Mostly Negative"

Sadly, we know Linux doesn't have a huge market share, I really don't know what they were expecting. If they go into thinking it's going to sell like hot cakes, they're obviously going to be disappointed.

Seems like they just keep publishing games that just aren't popular.
HerrLange May 1, 2018
Quoting: liamdaweShame, but "Overall Reviews: Mostly Negative" for Hanse - The Hanseatic League doesn't exactly seem like it's a great game anyway.

Now onto Pizza Connection 3, which also has "Overall Reviews: Mostly Negative"

Indeed. Looks like Assemble is just taking old german economy sims, stripping some features like multiplayer and reducing complexity and releases a quite untested beta. Looks like the publisher is pushing devs hard for a quick got to market.

For me it feels like they wanna do just a quick earning using my happy memories on great games I played like hell many years ago (with the hard earned money from my parents).

Unfortunately it's working. At least they have my attention and I'm in real danger giving them my (now myself) hard earned money.

By the way, I asked AssembleGames-Whitman for theire expectations. Let's see If he will reply.
HerrLange May 2, 2018
AssembleGames-Whitman has replied (in German): https://steamcommunity.com/app/599010/discussions/0/1696045708660627461/

He states that there were no real expectations regarding Linux but that Linux devlopment and external testing at least needs a five digits containing budget. So they need about 800-1000 sold copies to justify that.

PC3 for Linux has sold less 100 times.

He mentions that the situation for mac is better. Especially as they also sell through Apples Store - so there are more distribution platforms for Mac.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.