Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) in Wine
Phulu_OMGRT May 21, 2019
Hi there.

I too am one of the many who recently again visited Linux to see how things have been progressing on the gaming end and I've been pleasantly surprised on how much better and easier it has gotten. And since I (by my own fault) deleted my Windows partition I thought no better time like the present to keep going on with Linux.

I mainly only use my PC for gaming and almost all titles I have tried so far either works natively, with Steam Play or via Lutris with Wine and such. The one game I haven't been able to get to run is Star Wars Battlefront II (2017). I have posted on the Lutris forums as well (Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) - Lutris but got no response yet, so I'm trying here.

Is there anyone who may have some idea or indication as to what BFII is trying to use/launch in the background that prohibits it from starting up? I strongly suspect the issue is with a missing program or function but I’m just unsure as to how to identify it. I have tried installing and changing various Windows components in WINE (and also manged to break the instance quite a few times in the process).

Here is small summary of what I've tried the past few weeks:

*Tried various Wine staging versions.
*Tried various DXVK versions and even disabling it.
*Hiding Wine version detection.
*Enable and disable Lutris run time components.
*Enable and disable “prefer system libraries”.
*With and without virtual desktop.
*Installed all DirectX 9, 10 and 11 components.
*Installed DotNet, Visual C++ all versions, even Visual Basic components.
*Installed all fonts.
*Deleting and reinstalling Battlefront and even Origin.
*Since Anthem and Battlefield V is also using Frostbite and folks got them running, I even tried using their Lutris installers (Although they basically also only install Origin).

There were other tweaks that I can’t even recall at the moment. I have also tried different combinations of the above settings enabled/disabled.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can try or should look out for?

Many thanks in advance.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.