Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Star Citizen in Wine
Page: «6/6
  Go to:
Ehvis Jun 6
Quoting: ShmerlVulkan renderer is finally out! Did anyone test it?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//19915-Star-Citizen-Alpha-3230

I tried during the recent free fly but couldn't get it to start. It basically failed at device creation. Might have been that my wine-ge-8.26 was not up to date enough for it to run. I did see someone on youtube do a DX11/Vulkan comparison on Linux with proton-ge-9.5 and had it working. From that comparison there was no real advantage yet.

Seems like they need to enable their multi-threaded renderer to make things better. Besides that, the server performance was terrible and it resulted in nothing but problems. So my test session was not extensive.
Shmerl Aug 15
Looks like their Vulkan renderer is finally out. How easy is it to install / set up SC now? Last time I tried it was a long time ago. Does it need any special libraries / overrides?
Shmerl Aug 15
I found some tips that work around that EAC issue and managed to get into the game with Vulkan renderer!

See: https://github.com/starcitizen-lug/knowledge-base/wiki/Manual-Installation

Needed env variables:

export radv_zero_vram=true
export EOS_USE_ANTICHEATCLIENTNULL=1

Also this is needed:

echo 16777216 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count

Performance is bad, but apparently it's not optimized yet:

You do need very recent Wine (I'm using latest + esync + dxvk / vkd3d-proton in general).

Last edited by Shmerl on 15 August 2024 at 4:31 am UTC
Ehvis Aug 15
Quoting: ShmerlPerformance is bad, but apparently it's not optimized yet

Yeah, the main reason for Vulkan is multi-threaded rendering and that hasn't been included yet.

When I tried it a couple of years ago, I managed to get 40-50 fps in busy places and 60 in quiet areas. Now I get less than 30 in cities, so the game has taken a beating on Wine.

It should be free again starting tonight and I still have it installed. So I may try to get Vulkan running again.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.