Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Help With Crash on The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
PublicNuisance Mar 9, 2022
I am trying to play The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante from GOG using Wine. It crashes at times always with the same crash. Now here's what's really interesting: it doesn't do this on the demo. I can actually boot up the demo, get past where it crashes on the full version, copy my save into the full game and keep going. Problem is it will crash again down the road and I am more than convinced this will happen past where the demo ends. The crashes are always at specific points and are reproducable. The erorr is always the same.

The part of the log file that I think is interesting is this:

ERROR: Caught a segmentation fault while loading plugin file:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstvaapi.so

Any idea if there is anything I can do on my end to fix that ? I will file a bug report to Wine if need be but that may take a while to resolve. This happens on Manjaro as well so it isn't limited to Mint and it happens on my GTX 760 as well so it isn't limited to Mesa.

My System:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 21.2.6 | Linux Mint 20.3 | Mate 1.26.0 | Kernel 5.4.0-104-generic | Wine 7.3
tuubi Mar 9, 2022
Do you have gstreamer1.0-vaapi installed? And did you already try a different Wine version?

Last edited by tuubi on 9 March 2022 at 4:21 pm UTC
whizse Mar 9, 2022
Try running the game with LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="" set. That should skip hardware decoding if that's the problem.

Different values of GST_DEBUG enables GStreamer logging if video is indeed the problem.

Trying older or newer (git snapshots) versions of Wine might be helpful if you have the time.
PublicNuisance Mar 10, 2022
Quoting: tuubiDo you have gstreamer1.0-vaapi installed? And did you already try a different Wine version?

The file is installed, verified that. I only have the one Wine version installed, will try another.

Quoting: whizseTry running the game with LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="" set. That should skip hardware decoding if that's the problem.

Different values of GST_DEBUG enables GStreamer logging if video is indeed the problem.

How exactly would I set that ? Is that something I do in Lutris or through temrinal, or something else ?
whizse Mar 10, 2022
Quoting: PublicNuisanceHow exactly would I set that ? Is that something I do in Lutris or through temrinal, or something else ?
Yes. Either launch lutris through a terminal with the environment variable set, e.g. LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="" lutris or see if you can pass launch options to a game in Lutris similar to how it is done in Steam (I have never used Lutris so can't help there).
tuubi Mar 10, 2022
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: PublicNuisanceHow exactly would I set that ? Is that something I do in Lutris or through temrinal, or something else ?
Yes. Either launch lutris through a terminal with the environment variable set, e.g. LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="" lutris or see if you can pass launch options to a game in Lutris similar to how it is done in Steam (I have never used Lutris so can't help there).
Right click the game and select configure, then add your environment variables on the "System options" tab of the dialog. Shouldn't need to start in a terminal either, as you can simply view the game's log output in Lutris.

By the way, seeing as you're using Lutris, there are a bunch of Wine versions available directly if you just click the Manage Versions icon next to Wine to the left of game list. Or you can do something like download one of Glorious Eggroll's Proton-based Wine versions from here and extract it to `$HOME/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine`. Then you can select it on the "Runner options" tab of a game's configuration dialog.
PublicNuisance Mar 13, 2022
So I ended up trying three different versions of Wine as well as adding the LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="" variable but the issue remained so I just opened a bug report with Wine and we'll see what they figure out. It sucks but I have hundreds of games on the backlog so as the soup nazi says Next !
whizse Mar 16, 2022
Don't know if it's something you already tried, but using DXVK instead of WineD3D might do the trick.
PublicNuisance Mar 17, 2022
Quoting: whizseDon't know if it's something you already tried, but using DXVK instead of WineD3D might do the trick.

I have but thank you for the suggestion anyway.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.