Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Zink Question
PublicNuisance Mar 13, 2022
Am I correct in my understanding of Zink that currently you have to compile from source, that no distro has it in it's repos yet ?
whizse Mar 13, 2022
Looks like it has been shipped in Debian for about two years (since Mesa version 19.3.3-1). Never tried it myself though.
So if it ships as part of Mesa then I shouldn't have to install it but enable it maybe. Question is how to go about doing that ?
whizse Mar 13, 2022
Something like MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxgears or possibly __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=mesa MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink GALLIUM_DRIVER=zink glxgears

Unfortunatley on my system I ran into this bug when I tried it.
tuubi Mar 13, 2022
Works for me using "MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE" on Mint, with (Kisak's) Mesa 22.0.0 on both my gaming box with a 5700XT and my wife's workstation with an RX 580. I ran "glxgears -info" to make sure it was actually running on Zink.

Last edited by tuubi on 13 March 2022 at 4:28 pm UTC
tuubi Mar 13, 2022
Just out of curiosity I gave ETS2 a quick spin using Zink and it seems to work just fine. Performance isn't great, which is to be expected at this point I suppose, but everything seems to display correctly.
Quoting: whizseSomething like MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxgears or possibly __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=mesa MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink GALLIUM_DRIVER=zink glxgears

Unfortunatley on my system I ran into this bug when I tried it.

Quoting: tuubiWorks for me using "MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE" on Mint, with (Kisak's) Mesa 22.0.0 on both my gaming box with a 5700XT and my wife's workstation with an RX 580. I ran "glxgears -info" to make sure it was actually running on Zink.

Thank you both. The "MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink" seems to work so far. Haven't had time to properly test much so far but I'm able to use Mangohud to confirm some games will at least launch with Zink.
Shmerl Mar 13, 2022
Debian already ships zink.

dpkg -L libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 | rg zink

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/zink_dri.so

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink glxinfo | rg string

server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Collabora Ltd
OpenGL renderer string: zink (AMD RADV SIENNA_CICHLID)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.3.7
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 21.3.7
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

Last edited by Shmerl on 13 March 2022 at 7:01 pm UTC
Shmerl Mar 13, 2022
I tested zink recently (from Mesa main) on The Bard's Tale IV which uses OpenGL pretty heavily (Unreal Engine 4). Performance is good, but it seems to have more graphical glitches than radeonsi.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.