Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Have some original Linux media (bought from Tuxgames back in the day)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
grigi Mar 15, 2022

If anyone here is interested, please contact me.

I'm moving to the UK(Brighton) from South Africa, and packed these into a box. So I'll only be able to give em to you when the move is done (2-3 months)
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
damarrin Mar 15, 2022
Cool stuff. I have a couple of those.
Hamish Mar 15, 2022
The Linux version of SiN there is especially rare. Shame you do not have Shogo as well.
whizse Mar 15, 2022
Not interested in taking them off your hands, but it's always nice to see a well curated collection!

Also, good luck with the move!
grigi Mar 16, 2022
I have very fond memories of Cold War and X2.
Sin I remember was quite hard to get running.
The Ankh/Jack-Keane games was mostly played by my mom, but they were very well done.

The weird thing is I have no recollection of Sacred.
Hamish Mar 16, 2022
Quoting: grigiSin I remember was quite hard to get running.
The SiN demo ran great for me with Red Hat Linux 9 on my retro Linux gaming computer but refuses to launch on Red Hat Linux 7.3 as is my usual experience. I should give it another attempt.
gbudny Mar 16, 2022
Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: grigiSin I remember was quite hard to get running.
The SiN demo ran great for me with Red Hat Linux 9 on my retro Linux gaming computer but refuses to launch on Red Hat Linux 7.3 as is my usual experience. I should give it another attempt.

Well, I can confirm that the full version of Sin for Linux runs great on my Ubuntu 20.4 on Mate. You have to use padsp for sound, and I couldn't use Gnome because controls don't work properly. I didn't notice any other issues.

I have all these games, but my poster for Sacred for Linux has few ink stains - I will never buy a cheap pen.

Last edited by gbudny on 16 March 2022 at 5:37 pm UTC
Hamish Mar 16, 2022
Quoting: gbudnyI have all these games, but my poster for Sacred for Linux has few ink stains - I will never buy a cheap pen.
How well does Sacred run these days? Did they patch out the copy protection after the servers went down?
gbudny Mar 18, 2022
Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: gbudnyI have all these games, but my poster for Sacred for Linux has few ink stains - I will never buy a cheap pen.
How well does Sacred run these days? Did they patch out the copy protection after the servers went down?

I think that the last time I used the CD with Sacred in 2011 because I also have a version from Desura. Yesterday, I installed Sacred from the CD, and there were some issues with the fresh installation on Ubuntu 20.4.

The installer works only in a text mode on Ubuntu 20.4 because libSM was missing. I have to install one of the 32-bit libraries to run it. I was able to activate the game without any issues.
The sound works without using padsp or aoss, which is awesome.
I remember that Sacred worked well from 2009 to 2011 when I played it more regularly. Yesterday, I played only for the half-hour, so it's hard to judge it.

It's a fantastic game. The last patch is from 2012, so I recommend running a Linux distribution from that period if you notice any issues on the current distribution.

The copy protection had a lot of advantages, but now it's the annoying window asking about the keys and passwords for the first time.

Clive never said anything about removing DRM from a few of their games.

Last edited by gbudny on 18 March 2022 at 4:49 am UTC
Hamish Mar 18, 2022
I installed both the SiN and Shogo demos on Dianoga again and this time SiN worked without a hitch. So the question becomes what I have done in the past year to makes it work now...
gbudny Mar 20, 2022
Quoting: HamishI installed both the SiN and Shogo demos on Dianoga again and this time SiN worked without a hitch. So the question becomes what I have done in the past year to makes it work now...

I think that you should check, which libraries are used by the binary files.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.