MW3 FPS far lower than CoD4, MW2
HellsBells24 Mar 23, 2022
Proton continues to impress. Recently I was able to replay Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, at a consistent 60FPS, without any bugs or hiccups. The original Modern Warfare needed to be installed on the same hard drive as my Steam Installation, but also ran like a champ at 60FPS.
MW3 seems to be the odd man out, barely able to get 27FPS with the exact same settings and hardware as it's prequels. Adjusting resolution, texture quality, refresh rate, nothing seems to bring the third installment up to the level of the previous two.
Seems to be a common theme on ProtonDB and the Valve's GitHub for Proton, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask around here and see if anyone had a fix. No reason a 10 year old game should struggle for 25FPS with an i5 and an RTX 2070 Super at it's disposal!

Either way, Linux gaming is only getting better, and I love being a part of it!
whizse Mar 23, 2022
Your best bet is probably to file a bug report directly with DXVK and describe the problem. Hopefully it will catch the attention of one of the developers.

According to PCGamingWiki you can force the game to run in a compatibility mode. It might be worth a try:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_3#DirectX_9_compatibility_with_older_video_cards

Since it's a DX9 game, you might want to try to use wined3d instead of d9vk with the PROTON_USE_WINED3D option. You might try disabling esync and fsync too.

There are quite a few options for d3d9 in dxvk.conf too, but none of them are magic-go-fast-juice so trying them all out without knowing what's wrong is probably just a waste of time.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.