Game not working due to error- wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
shayan99999 Jul 14, 2022
Multiple games don't open or crash within seconds due to the same error. The last line of lutris log is-

wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.

Host: Nitro AN515-54 V1.33
Kernel: 5.18.10-arch1-1
Uptime: 13 hours, 34 mins
Packages: 1509 (pacman), 7 (flatpak)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Plasma 5.25.3
WM: KWin
WM Theme: Lightly
Theme: Breeze Dark [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icons: breeze-dark [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: Intel i5-9300H (8) @ 4.100GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q
GPU: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
Memory: 7137MiB / 15837MiB
BlackBloodRum Jul 14, 2022
Hey,

What filesystem is on your game installation drive (where you are installing wine games to)? Ext? BTRFS? etc? If the filesystem is NTFS then that could be the problem. NTFS on GNU/Linux can be unreliable and should be avoided on Linux where possible.

Do you have any problems with that drive outside of wine? For example, do other GNU/Linux applications complain at all?

If it's more than wine, make sure the device is mounted in a way which allows your user access to the files along with read-write permission (Try manually creating a file in that directory, does it work?).
shayan99999 Jul 14, 2022
It's an LDM data partition. The games were already installed before I switched to Linux. I use LDMTool to mount the drive. I can read, write, and execute files from that drive. No other programs have caused errors
whizse Jul 14, 2022
Quoting: shayan99999Multiple games don't open or crash within seconds due to the same error. The last line of lutris log is-

wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
That should be harmless. I get the same error message on pretty much any Wine/Proton install.

The real error message is probably somewhere else in the logs.
shayan99999 Jul 14, 2022
Is it this part?

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_caps_init_feature_options1: TotalLaneCount = 1024, may be inaccurate.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x42.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x44.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x45.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x59.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x64.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x65.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x66.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x67.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x68.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x69.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6a.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6b.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6c.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6d.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6e.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x6f.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x70.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x71.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x72.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x82.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x83.

0138:fixme:d3d12_device_get_format_support: Unhandled format 0x84.
damarrin Jul 14, 2022
99% chance your problems are from running games off a Windows drive.
shayan99999 Jul 14, 2022
Is there something I can do to fix that?
damarrin Jul 14, 2022
Not run games off a windows drive.
shayan99999 Jul 14, 2022
Can I convert my windows drive to another file system?
damarrin Jul 14, 2022
Edit: nvm. I’ll let someone else take over.

Last edited by damarrin on 14 July 2022 at 2:46 pm UTC
BlackBloodRum Jul 15, 2022
Quoting: shayan99999Is it this part?

If possible, could you provide the full log[1]? It should be clearer for us that way, preferably in a paste-bin style service .

Have you tried games on your GNU/Linux disks? (ones with GNU/Linux partitions)? Any problems there?

[1] By all means blank out anything sensitive such as usernames if you wish.

Quoting: shayan99999Can I convert my windows drive to another file system?
That's quite a big step, one I would only recommend doing if you're sure about using GNU/Linux and don't plan to go back to Windows.

I don't know how detailed / complex your LDM setup is, but I'm going to assume it's setup in a windows server way.

The LDM equivalent on GNU/Linux is LVM. Don't try any in-place conversion methods though, as it can easily go wrong and land you with no data at all.

If you're sure that you wish to make the drive set GNU/Linux based (LVM + gnu/linux filesystems) then the safest option is, and always will be to backup the data off the drives onto another set, properly format the drives and then restore data to the newly formatted drives.

Sadly, this does mean you would need a place to put that backup (and if you have a large amount of data, that could be tricky and take quite some time, although you should already have backups in any case.)

I should also mention getting LVM and the disks working under Windows will be a royal pain in the backside and may not work at all. So it's best only used an exclusive GNU/Linux setup. If you plan to continue to use the drives under windows, simply leave them as LDM.

Although, I might add that a simple RAID array under mdadm may be an easier option than LVM in some cases, but these two both have their pro's and con's which you should research before making your first move as it's entirely dependant on what you want to achieve in your setup.

In addition, going with LVM is a more "complex" setup than a regular partition and disk layout. So it really is best to do your research before you touch any partitions or make any changes.

With that said, I can point you towards these articles to start with which explain what LVM is and how it works quite well:
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/create-physical-volume
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/create-volume-group
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/creating-logical-volumes

And of course since you're using Arch, the wiki page for using LVM on arch:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LVM

Hopefully this helps, sorry if this all seems difficult, but just like LDM under windows, LVM under Linux is not a "typical" setup.

(Unless using Fedora, Redhat - they will set your default disk format layout to LVM by default during install - or at least did the last time I checked.)

Although, you may alternatively wish to research RAID under Linux for your setup as it may be more suitable in some cases:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/RAID

Naturally, do as much research as you can on this setup if you plan to go ahead with it so that you don't walk in blind. Consider all your options and don't just copy-paste commands, understand them first.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.