Battle.Net Install hangs on error
Brian Oct 14, 2022
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums and newish to Linux.. sorta..
I Have used Linux in the past, but never for gaming, I can get around okish, but likely need to be spoon fed a little bit to gather information...

I have recently gotten so fed up with windows os... I'm done with Microsoft and want to learn all I can about Linux and use it as an everyday OS going forward...
I have selected Ubuntu Desktop version 20.04 for my Gaming Laptop!! So far (a week in) I love this OS!!! I did try Linux Mint Cinnamon and to be honest, I removed it because it was to much like windows!!! It did run way faster though then any windows I ever installed...

One of the things for me is gaming, and I have read alot about Linux gaming before making the switch to Linux. I love that Proton exisits and is heavily active!! (thank you Steam Deck!)
This is amazing seeing 95% of my games are in Steam and either have a native release, or can be installed and use Proton.

The 5% is where I need some help please... I love Blizzard games, I play WoW Classic, D2R and D3 a lot!!!
I have tried to install Battle.net through Lutris, but end up with errors...

I have tried to follow this guide and manually install with Wine, but end up with the same error that Lutris got..

I have read articles that say I can just add the battle.net exe file to Steam as a non steam game and it will launch and install.. I have not had this work either...

From using Google to look for solutions to the error I got, it looks like a font issue maybe? I could be wrong, I'm not Linux error guru by any means. You can see in tihs screenshot (hope I shared this right if not let me know) that I got Battle.net running, but the install it still running with the error I have been seeing... If I click on Cancel, it removes the install and Battle.Net gets removed....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OxudaCFWGp6EdosSw0y045A8FdNHazyg/view?usp=sharing

Any Help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!!!
whizse Oct 14, 2022
The error in the screenshot looks like it might be because DXVK is not installed? I don't use Lutris myself but I'm guessing it's something you can enable for the prefix.

As a general rule, I think the best way to run Wine/Proton outside of Steam today is probably Bottles. There's a guide for Battle.net here. It's written for the Deck but the steps should be similar on a desktop:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/10/heres-how-to-play-overwatch-2-on-steam-deck-linux/
Brian Oct 14, 2022
Thank you for the reply!!!
So I solved it last night after posting but the post was not yet approved by mods yet..

I feel silly but I did mention I been windows all my life and into my IT career... The solution was to close the battle.net app after logging in.. this allows the installer to finish... I suspect Lutris might want to add a prompt for this as it was not obvious... I actually closed the app in rage and it fixed it hahaha. Live and learn!!!!!

Thanks again for posting!!!!!!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.