Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
NVIDIA 520.56.02 - black screen
Liam Dawe Oct 20, 2022
Hi all, trying to track down an issue here.

I updated to driver 520.56.06 on Fedora, and now my 4k DP monitor is just a black flashing screen. Has anyone else seen this?

This bug report seems similar, but a different model and driver.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 21 October 2022 at 1:54 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Oct 20, 2022
I’ve narrowed it down.

One resolution does it: 2560x1440, all other resolutions work. But as of this driver 520.56.06, that resolution just produces the black screen.
Xpander Oct 21, 2022
Hmm.. i have 2x 2560x1440 both with DP and 4K TV as well thats with HDMI. Not seen this issue. Maybe its some specific monitor models etc? ...uhh thats hard to pinpoint it
Ehvis Oct 21, 2022
Apart from a big installation issue, I haven't found any issues yet. But not on Fedora, so probably no relevance. What I do find interesting is that you're saying 520.56.02 while I have 520.56.06 according to NVIDIA Settings. Edit: and you mention this in the second post as well. Is it just a typo?

Last edited by Ehvis on 21 October 2022 at 1:37 pm UTC
peta77 Oct 21, 2022
So let's look, same PC Info (except I'm running Manjaro with XFCE, but hardware is pretty much the same), my 4K display is also connected via DP... just took an update, now also have 520.56.06
after reboot everything's still working fine, no display problems, glxinfo says direct rendering is enabled, glxgears and vkcupe also run fine ...

maybe some incompatibility with the kernel version you're using? Manjaro currently recommends 5.15.74, though it has newer ones (even version 6 already)...

or is there some bug in KDE? (as I see Ehvis uses Gnome and also doesn't have any problems)
maybe disabling composit/desktop effects kde can fix that (had issues with that from time to time at work while i was still using kde there)...
or simply try a different desktop (not based on qt/kde-libs) to exclude kde from the list...

does the x-log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) mention anything when you try using 4K?
Xpander Oct 23, 2022
Ok i managed to get very similar issue i think. Updated my system and got black screen blanking constantly. with my 1440p screens both. Drivers seemed to be correctly loaded without any issues. Turned out it was Lightdm and its webkit2 greeter that went into bootloop on the display manager that did that. There were lots of qt5 packages that got updated so maybe something got broken there. Switched to very basic SDDM setup and all is fine....
Liam Dawe Oct 23, 2022
I sent along more report with more details to NVIDIA. Hopefully they figure it out.
Xpander Oct 24, 2022
Hmm i dont think mine had anything to do with nvidia drivers though. Just lightdm kept opening and closing every second making it blink like that. I will dig deeper as soon as i have more time.

This was in the logs that kept spamming every second (cut a small portion of it)
https://pastebin.com/i6CuriDp

edit: yeah mine is fixed fully. switched to other greeter instead of the webkit2 one and all is working fine with 520.56.06. Probably some qt5 or lightdm updates that did that. So thats probably not related to Liam's issue. Just looked similar.

Last edited by Xpander on 25 October 2022 at 1:56 pm UTC
peta77 Oct 25, 2022
well i'm using lightdm (v1.32.0) here without the issues... though i don't know if it uses webkit... (my Webkit-versions are: qt5webkit: 5.212.0, webkit2gtk: 4.0.so.37.57.3 & 4.1.so.0.2.3)
maybe the problem is a bit more complex...
Xpander Oct 25, 2022
Had:
lightdm-webkit2-greeter 2.2.5-6
lightdm 1:1.32.0-4
qt5-base 5.15.6+kde+r181-

replaced lightdm-webkit2-greeter with lightdm-slick-greeter 1.5.9-1 and all works perfectly. Maybe config problem also somewhere..anyway working fine with different greeter so not really feeling to dig deeper into it as i didn't care about how the greeter looks anyway :)

Last edited by Xpander on 25 October 2022 at 4:43 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.