Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
weird behaviour from steam since the oct 12 update (i think)
dvd Oct 23, 2022
Ever since the oct. 12 or so update steam automatically launches winecfg whenever its launched. Can this behaviour be blocked somehow?
damarrin Oct 23, 2022
That's not happening for me, so must be something with your config.
Linas Oct 24, 2022
Never seen anything like that. The only thing that comes to mind is that your Proton installation is somehow messed up. Try clearing ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/ directory and restarting Steam. You will most likely have to "verify files" for your Proton installations afterwards to get them to re-download.
Grogan Oct 24, 2022
Yes, possibly a broken proton implementation in compatibilitytools.d. When you launch Steam, it checks all those, runs the wine interpreter, checks DirectX within it etc.

I find that highly annoying (I don't need Steam doing that shit in the background for the first 5 minutes after launch... I have several with Valve's Proton since inception + a few runners in compatibilitytools.d

I have also had Steam pop up winecfg and write to ~/.wine which I never use for anything and delete. The details escape me, but I know that has annoyed me. I think it was one of my Proton-GE's at the time but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Grogan on 24 October 2022 at 9:23 pm UTC
dvd Oct 27, 2022
Quoting: LinasNever seen anything like that. The only thing that comes to mind is that your Proton installation is somehow messed up. Try clearing ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/ directory and restarting Steam. You will most likely have to "verify files" for your Proton installations afterwards to get them to re-download.

That fixed it it seems, thank you very much! Its kinda weird how steam randomly breaks sometimes. Guess thats the price of all the auto updates.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.