Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Bad (perceived) frame pacing on AMDGPU when vsync is turned off inside games
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
zastrix Jun 7
Hm, I don't think I did say it properly on my last comment, but with kernel 6.10, kde 6.1 and mesa-git I still had that issue on my 7900XTX. I did borrow my friends VRR monitor and didn't experience it then, so it's something to frame pacing on the output side somewhere. The game frame-graphs were super smooth though even while the stuttering was happening.
Shmerl Jun 7
You need VRR / adaptive sync in general for any kind of smoothness.
zastrix Jun 7
Hm, when I booted a random SSD with windows I didn't have this issue, so just a hard VRR-requirement shouldn't REALLY the solution for weird behavior (although I will be getting a VRR one for in-game frame-drops and inconsistencies).

Fedora 39 didn't have this specific issue for some odd reason, only started happening on Fedora 40 for me.

I did test games with mesa-git via flatpak, but I assume that I need the 24.1 mesa driver actually on the whole system to fix this issue which is most likely caused by implicit sync. Guess I'll have to wait who knows for how long as I couldn't find an article for when the 24.1 driver will be in the fedora repos!
ridge Jun 8
Quoting: zastrixHow did your stutter look like? Was it always stuttery or does it happen in an (not exactly set) interval? Like once every 10-30 seconds?

Hello. Sorry for my late response, I've been so busy.
My frame pacing issues were permanent as long as vsync was off, even with smooth frame time graphs. So this is resolved now when using explicit sync in KDE Plasma 6.1 Beta with appropriate Mesa version

Quoting: zastrixI assume that I need the 24.1 mesa driver actually on the whole system to fix this issue which is most likely caused by implicit sync.

Yes, and please remember your compositor also needs to support explicit sync.

Last edited by ridge on 8 June 2024 at 5:11 am UTC
zastrix Jun 9
Hey hey, no worries. Yep, sounds exactly like the issue I'm facing. Game is always hardlocked to a specific FPS via MangoHud and there's no changes in the frametime but still there are stutters present, sometimes HARD ones for half a second.

I did manage to run mesa-git on KDE 6.0.5 and the issue still happened. I did hear on reddit that fedora backported the explicit-sync functionality but I'm not exactly sure whether they did. I'll wait for KDE 6.1 and then run mesa-git and see if it's still an issue for me.
ridge Jun 9
Quoting: zastrixI'll wait for KDE 6.1 and then run mesa-git and see if it's still an issue for me.

If you're feeling adventurous and/or particularly impatient, you could backport the patch yourself and build Kwin on your own 😀
I did that on a different machine for a friend, and it worked wonders.
zastrix Jun 9
Ahaha, thanks for the recommendation but I do run an immutable distro. What I CAN do is rebase to fedora rawhide and then overlay the mesa-git repos, I'd then have KDE 6.1 and the latest Mesa drivers.

... Actually as a matter of fact I *am* going to do that. Should be able to boot within, I don't know, 30 minutes?
zastrix Jun 9
I wanted to say that the issue is still present for me but it might be wrong? I did change to fedora rawhide and I still had the visual framedrop, but after that when I checked the 'about this system' menu I did see that it shows KDE Plasma 6.0.90 instead of 6.1, even though the initial KDE welcome menu did say 6.1, so I'm confused about this.
ridge Jun 10
Quoting: zastrixwhen I checked the 'about this system' menu I did see that it shows KDE Plasma 6.0.90

That's the versioning scheme for betas. X.0.90 is the beta for the next version, X.1. But that's odd, since you're on the latest Mesa and a compatible compositor :0
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.