Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Hunt Showdown too dark.
krusican Feb 18, 2023
Is there away in Linux too boost brightness/gamma?In Game Gamma is maxed out, but under Linux the Game is way too dark.

Under Windows I can tweak the Brightness in the Catalyst Settings.

But from Performance Standpoint the Game
runs better then under the nativ OS.
Xpander Feb 18, 2023
you can use xrandr
for example
xrandr --output DP-4 --gamma 1.50:1.50:1.50

ofc use output of your monitor port and to change it back do the same but gamma values 1.0

you can script it and keybind the scripts to change when needed also

Last edited by Xpander on 18 February 2023 at 4:41 pm UTC
whizse Feb 18, 2023
I would also guess (never having used it myself) that you could adjust brightness and/or gamma with vkBasalt.
whizse Feb 18, 2023
Answering myself here. You can run custom shaders in vkBasalt, and giving the brightness a boost is just abut the simplest fragment shader you can write:

#include "ReShade.fxh"

#define BRIGHTNESS_BOOST 0.2f // 0.0f no boost, 1.0f full white

float3 PS_HSLFXmain(float4 vpos : SV_Position, float2 texcoord : TexCoord) : SV_Target
{
float3 input = tex2D(ReShade::BackBuffer, texcoord).rgb;
        return clamp(input + BRIGHTNESS_BOOST, 0.0, 1.0);
}

technique HSL
{
pass
{
VertexShader = PostProcessVS;
PixelShader = PS_HSLFXmain;
}
}

Save the code as HSL.fs and save it in the configured reshade dir. Adjust brightness from 0.0 to 1.0 with the BRIGHTNESS_BOOST constant.

You need the reshade headers and a config like this:
effects = HSL

reshadeTexturePath = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/textures/"
reshadeIncludePath = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/shaders"
HSL = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/shaders/HSL.fx"

There is however most likely a much better and more straightforward way to do this.

Last edited by whizse on 18 February 2023 at 9:26 pm UTC
Michael Feb 23, 2023
Quoting: whizseAnswering myself here. You can run custom shaders in vkBasalt, and giving the brightness a boost is just abut the simplest fragment shader you can write:

#include "ReShade.fxh"

#define BRIGHTNESS_BOOST 0.2f // 0.0f no boost, 1.0f full white

float3 PS_HSLFXmain(float4 vpos : SV_Position, float2 texcoord : TexCoord) : SV_Target
{
float3 input = tex2D(ReShade::BackBuffer, texcoord).rgb;
        return clamp(input + BRIGHTNESS_BOOST, 0.0, 1.0);
}

technique HSL
{
pass
{
VertexShader = PostProcessVS;
PixelShader = PS_HSLFXmain;
}
}

Save the code as HSL.fs and save it in the configured reshade dir. Adjust brightness from 0.0 to 1.0 with the BRIGHTNESS_BOOST constant.

You need the reshade headers and a config like this:
effects = HSL

reshadeTexturePath = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/textures/"
reshadeIncludePath = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/shaders"
HSL = "/home/user/.config/vkBasalt/reshade/shaders/HSL.fx"

There is however most likely a much better and more straightforward way to do this.

ANy chance you can provide a bit more guidance here? I'm just getting my feet wet in Ubuntu 22.04 and so far my only complaint is the darkness of Hunt.
Xpander Feb 23, 2023
I personally wouldn't really mess with reshade/vkbasalt shaders with online multiplayer games. Just in case it can trigger something with anticheats.

But other than that. For singleplayer games. Yeah thats also one way to do it. or maybe even use the fakehdr.fx and tweak the values there.
whizse Feb 23, 2023
Quoting: MichaelANy chance you can provide a bit more guidance here? I'm just getting my feet wet in Ubuntu 22.04 and so far my only complaint is the darkness of Hunt.
I'm not sure what your specific problem is, but I guess setting up vkBasalt might be a bit tricky. There is an easier way by using the GOverlay UI. I think it's available in the Ubuntu repos.

However as Xpander mentioned, since this is a multiplayer game you're probably better off not using vkBasalt and just adjusting the gamma.

Last edited by whizse on 23 February 2023 at 1:58 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.