Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Steam fails to start
razing32 Jun 16, 2023
After recent update on Arch , I am no longer able to launch Steam-runtime or Steam-native
Grahpics card is Nvidia - up to date.
Following error occurs on both :
steam.sh[16378]: Running Steam on arch rolling 64-bit
steam.sh[16378]: STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
steam.sh[16378]: Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
[2023-06-16 02:15:55] Startup - updater built May 30 2023 20:40:12
[2023-06-16 02:15:55] Startup - Steam Client launched with: '/home/razing/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1685488080)/tid(16459)
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

Not sure what I can try. Is it an issue with X or an issue with Nvidia drivers ?
razing32 Jun 16, 2023
UPDATE
Following this : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218406#p1663600
And doing this : pacman -Sy lib32-nvidia-libgl

fixed it.

Still not sure , seems a 32 bit driver for nvidia was busted and that breaks steam somehow ???

If someone smarter than me understands what in he hell is going on , let me know ......
Grogan Jun 16, 2023
No, I think you're understanding quite well what was going on.

Yes, you'll need both 64 and 32 bit driver libraries because Steam will invoke such machinery to do tests and also, some of its processes are actually still 32 bit (like, umm, the main client process lol!)

steam.sh -> ubuntu12_32/steam
StoneColdSpider Jun 16, 2023
I had that this morning after I did an update.....
I did a full shut down and started the pc again and its working fine now.........

Hello IT..... Have you tried tuning it off and on again???......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 16 June 2023 at 2:30 am UTC
Xpander Jun 16, 2023
how do you manage to remove lib32 nvidia drivers with updates i wonder?
never experienced issue like this.. Or maybe your mirrors were corrupted during update somehow?
then again it should throw an error if mirror has corrupt package or so..

very strange.
Grogan Jun 16, 2023
You probably wouldn't remove it, what might happen is that you don't upgrade it.

(or maybe it didn't get updated at exactly the same time, or Arch broke it and released another pkgrel since etc.)

P.S. I'd want to reboot the kernel after upgrading Nvidia drivers, even if scripts unload and load the new DKMS module

Last edited by Grogan on 16 June 2023 at 6:45 pm UTC
razing32 Jun 18, 2023
Quoting: GroganYou probably wouldn't remove it, what might happen is that you don't upgrade it.

(or maybe it didn't get updated at exactly the same time, or Arch broke it and released another pkgrel since etc.)

P.S. I'd want to reboot the kernel after upgrading Nvidia drivers, even if scripts unload and load the new DKMS module

I think I did reboot if i recall correctly.
I rebooted and both Steam and Bottles were busted.
I uninstalled the AUR version of Bottles and installed the Flatpack one and that worked somehow.
Then i went to Steam and found the error. I recall i just did the reinstall of the 32 bit library but did not reboot after and Steam worked fine.
Grogan Jun 18, 2023
Quoting: razing32I think I did reboot....

The 32 bit library is not the kernel module I spoke of, moreover, the comment about the reboot was because of what others said.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.