Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
PC completely freezes when downloading a game
IamPeppinu Jun 29, 2023
Hello, as I said in thread title, I am noticing that my computer is completely freezeing. It happened about 3 or 4 times today in few minutes.
I am using my gaming pc after several time, is there something new I should know? because steam got some updates on my computer, graphic interface look different... I hope that the problem is related to steam upgrades and not related to my hardware.
Currently I am using ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

My system spec, if need are:
Mobo gigabyte gaming x
GPU XFX RX 590
Ryzen 3700x

What do you suggest me to do?
Xpander Jun 30, 2023
journalctl -b -1 
to check problems from previous boot

completely freezing sure sounds like hardware issue, but who knows without logs
damarrin Jun 30, 2023
Start with some basics, try to download something with your browser and over bittorrent, preferably at your internet connection’s top speed. Does the computer freeze then?

If not, it looks like Steam broke something and you can isolate your troubleshooting to it. Are you using stable Steam or beta? Try switching versions and see then. Search Steam bugs, report a new one if you find nothing, get in touch with support.
razing32 Jun 30, 2023
I think i've seen this when Steam overloads the hard disk and downloads at max speed.
Do you have just one hard disk ? Is it HDD / SDD / NVME ?
Can you run "iotop" in terminal when you download and see disk usage percentage ?
Klaas Jun 30, 2023
IMO the easiest way to check if it is related to download rate/write speed is to set a limit in Steam's settings.
IamPeppinu Jul 3, 2023
Quoting: Xpanderjournalctl -b -1 
to check problems from previous boot

completely freezing sure sounds like hardware issue, but who knows without logs

hello, thank for your help.
Sadly journalctl -b -1 gives me this:
Specifying boot ID or boot offset has no effect, no persistent journal was found.

The only problem is that I dont really know how to get this boot ID

Anyway, I installed the game and everything works fine, I can play without any problem... but today I experienced black screens while playing games on lutris
Really i dont know what to do, because if I cant consult the system logs I can't know what to do to fix all the problems I am having with my gaming pc, I dont really want to move back to Windows since I am too used to using linux systems.
When these black screens occurred I couldnt do anything except restart the PC by using the physical key, but this cannot be a "long term solution"

anyway I found on youtube a guy who had my same problem...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGEh1Ujk6Q
this is what happens to me also :(

Last edited by IamPeppinu on 3 July 2023 at 12:21 pm UTC
IamPeppinu Jul 3, 2023
I fixed the journalctl problem and I have the logs:

15:11:27 kernel: [drm:amdgpu_cs_ioctl [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Failed to initialize parser -125!
15:11:27 kernel: amdgpu 0000:09:00.0: [drm:amdgpu_ring_test_helper [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring comp_1.1.0 test failed (-110)
15:11:26 kernel: amdgpu: rlc is busy, skip halt rlc
15:11:25 kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process GameMainThread pid 4248 thread dxvk-submit pid 4272
15:08:18 systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
15:08:15 kernel: __common_interrupt: 10.55 No irq handler for vector

If need here I have screenshoted the whole register https://freeimage.host/i/HieTeAG
Thank you for your help
Xpander Jul 4, 2023
Looks like GPU driver issue or hardware is starting to go. Maybe try different kernel/mesa versions first to see if that fixses it.
Could be also PowerSupply giving up maybe?
IamPeppinu Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: XpanderLooks like GPU driver issue or hardware is starting to go. Maybe try different kernel/mesa versions first to see if that fixses it.
Could be also PowerSupply giving up maybe?

I switched from 5.19 to 6.3 kernel few minutes ago and did not fix anything :(
I dunno about powersupply, but the strange thing is that this issue occurs only when lutris game are running...while when I play on steam games everything works fine
Xpander Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: IamPeppinuI switched from 5.19 to 6.3 kernel few minutes ago and did not fix anything :(
I dunno about powersupply, but the strange thing is that this issue occurs only when lutris game are running...while when I play on steam games everything works fine

Could be a specific game has problems with your GPU/Drivers then. You can try switching DXVK/VKD3D and wine/proton versions in Lutris to try to see if it makes any difference. Freezes when downloading a game was your original issue.. Are you using Lutris games on different drive than your steam ones? maybe your HDD/SSD is starting to fail also.. hard to say really. Those logs you posted still look like GPU/Driver issues.
IamPeppinu Jul 4, 2023
Quoting: Xpander
Quoting: IamPeppinuI switched from 5.19 to 6.3 kernel few minutes ago and did not fix anything :(

Could be a specific game has problems with your GPU/Drivers then. You can try switching DXVK/VKD3D and wine/proton versions in Lutris to try to see if it makes any difference. Freezes when downloading a game was your original issue.. Are you using Lutris games on different drive than your steam ones? maybe your HDD/SSD is starting to fail also.. hard to say really. Those logs you posted still look like GPU/Driver issues.

I am using the same drive (nvme) for the whole computer.
I dont know what to do to be honest.
I also switched mesa drivers, I moved from ubuntu to pop os... I basically spent the whole morning in trying to fix these problem... I think that the last thing to do is installing windows and checking if on Windows these issue occurs or not.
Anyway before doing this I try to switch DXVK/VKD3D and wine/proton versions as you suggested.
I will let you know
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.