Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Does anyone have old linux game cd/cases?
Lib-Inst Jul 15, 2023
Anyone here have old linux game cd or cases from the past? Post pics if you do, would be cool to see. Or if you had some before you can mention what games as well.
pentadrago Jul 16, 2023
Over the years some linux versions found their way into my collection (as I was still collecting physical media, nowadays I'm happily collecting / renting games digitally).

Here are both my original Loki boxes, which are complete

and one unfortunately missing the CD (I don't really remember where I got this, maybe ebay)

and also some games that were only sold as case (after the era of game boxes)

Other than that I still have some boxes and cases of games that got downloadable installers or point releases (e.g. Doom, Quake, NWN).
kaiman Jul 16, 2023
Here's my only game from Loki. In Germany, some (or maybe all) of those were published by S.u.S.E.. Wonder if they'd still offer those 30 days of installation support if I'd send the registration card now ...

Then, here's two more in DVD-sized cases from around 2015 that prominently feature Linux support on the box. I also like the DRM-free logo. Power to the customer, I guess!

And for good measure, a rather recent collector's big box. Like how the sticker mimicks that of game boxes of the '80s and '90s, when you had the same boxes for so many competing computer architectures.

I've got some more boxed games for Linux (the most recent being Victoria 3), but a lot of them fail to mention Linux support on the box, or it's buried somewhere in the fine print, so I'll leave it at those four.
Hamish Jul 16, 2023
Quoting: pentadragoand one unfortunately missing the CD (I don't really remember where I got this, maybe ebay
Strangely enough I have the jewel case for HoMM3 but not the box. Not the original inhabitant by any chance?

All of my pictures of course are saved for either past or future articles:
https://icculus.org/~hamish/retro/index.html
Lib-Inst Jul 17, 2023
wow cool stuff posted so far. What ever happened with loki?
damarrin Jul 17, 2023
They went bust.
Cyril Jul 17, 2023
As a fan, that Heroes III box is gorgeous!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.