You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The witcher 3 next gen - Frame generation & dlss
amarek Jul 19, 2023
Hello people,

this is my first post in this forum :)

I switched from windows to linux the last months and i am very happy that so much games are already running very good and sometimes even better than with windows.

But my most favorite game (The witcher 3), does not support frame generation and dlss as far as i see.
The option for frame generation is grayed out and dlss was working in an earlier version but it does not run anymore in the actual version.

I am using a geforce rtx 4080 card and a core i7-8700, 32 gb memory, several nvem cards.
I tried many different versions of compatibility mode via proton, but it seems that it is not possible with linux till now. I am using nobara linux.

Is there anybody who was able to get the game running with frame generation and dlss, or is there someone who knows wether this problem is related to nvidia or cd project red?
Any kind of information would be very helpful becaue ray tracing and 4k is not possible (performance) without this technologies.

Thank you in advance
Arehandoro Jul 20, 2023
DLSS 3 is supported natively in Linux if I recall correctly, but I don't know if there's an implementation of it in WINE yet. If the option was there but then removed, I would imagine that is to do with some issue, or other reason, by CD Projekt. I don't have a clue about Fram Generation.

Welcome :)
amarek Jul 20, 2023
Thank you very much @arehandoro,

i know that dlss 3 is supported in Linux because it also works with other titles like Red dead redemption 2 for example.
SO i guess i have to wait for CDPR and play on Windows untill they fix this.
I am using dual boot at the moment because not everything regarding gaming is working yet on linux ;)

BR
Ehvis Jul 20, 2023
But ray tracing does work now? Only tried it when the NG update came out and then the game crashed very quick after turning it on. Not planning on using it, 3440x1440 raytracing on a 2080Ti is not going to be enjoyable. Just curious.
amarek Jul 20, 2023
@ehvis

it was working 2 patches ago but at the moment i am stuck in 1 fps -.-
Ehvis Jul 20, 2023
Quoting: amarek@ehvis

it was working 2 patches ago but at the moment i am stuck in 1 fps -.-

May have a peek over the weekend. Just to see what Kaer Morhen looks like before I switch it back to DX11.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.