Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
How to Play Non-Steam Visual Novels on GNU/Linux
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: Valso
Quoting: pleasereadthemanualAre there a lot of these?
The AVN niche is still young and new, constantly growing but there are already at least 50 games I know of.
Well, it's good to hear visual novels are finding another niche in the western world! I'm not that into adult visual novels (or nukige, as the Japanese VN community tends to call them), although most VNs end up having an R18+ scene anyway... Personally, if it's not Japanese, and especially not 2D, I won't be playing it

We've all got our tastes, haha.
Quoting: I_Hate_Windowsadd as a non steam game and fiddle around with the proton version in compatibility tab for that thing you added as a non steam game

i even got battle net working just fine
and all the games install and work
I don't really like Steam as a client, and it's a proprietary client, so I don't feel comfortable recommending it to others where Steam games aren't concerned. I like Lutris because you usually never need to configure anything. You can easily install a game from disk and set it up automatically. Lutris lets you easily change Wine settings when you need to, whereas you need to set them as command-line launch options in Steam, which is pretty unfriendly.

In particular, changing your locale is really easy in Lutris. Well, after I submitted these patches for searching for installed locales and selecting a locale on installation, which was only possible because Lutris is free software. Any problems with the Steam client are only fixable by Valve.

It's worth mentioning that Proton can have worse compatibility for games not built with the Steam Runtime in mind, as the developer for Proton-GE declares in no uncertain terms here. He recommends using Wine-GE, which retains all the improvements from Proton without the incompatible parts.

But if you managed to get the games working, that's great! I've found that the biggest thing to watch out for with Japanese visual novels is DRM. We've got an incomplete list of what DRM works and what doesn't here. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about that except not buy the games...
Quoting: I_Hate_Windowsthat must be a rough life, knowing how to easily fix a problem but refusing to over it not being free open source software, meanwhile i love starfield on my pc and i did tell you exactly how to fix your issue, good luck with that attitude
I probably use more non-free software than most people on this site, if we discount games

Honestly, I'm not religious about free software. I just prefer being able to fix problems when they arise, as I did with Lutris. The Steam client was broken in a major way for months before Valve finally fixed it. Thank you for offering another option for managing Wine (sorry for being a bit abrasive before), but I'm happy with Lutris, really! I use Steam for Steam games, but I prefer having more control over Wine using Lutris for non-Steam games.

But Steam Client, Lutris, Heroic Launcher, Bottles, or just plain invoking Wine from the command-line, none of those fix my biggest problem with visual novels on GNU/Linux, which is the DRM it's encumbered with.

If you can get a game from DMM working on Steam, let me know! I will happily use whatever method works to play those games on GNU/Linux. Hell, I might have even paid for Cedega if it was still around.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.