Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Avaneya: A Cerebral Sci-Fi for GNU
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Kip Aug 31, 2010
Avaneya: A Cerebral Sci-Fi for GNU

A forum. My name is Kip and I am project lead behind the Avaneya project.

Avaneya is a free, commercial, cerebral science fiction game for GNU currently under active development. There is a lengthy thread over on the Ubuntu Forums.

Synopsis:
QuoteEarth is a write off. The year is 2082 AD and the struggle for social justice and human rights has inevitably followed early settlers into their first Martian city-state republics.

Broken neoclassical economics, corporate controlled media, fractional reserve central banks, false flags, over industrialization, and a delicate supply of natural capital will challenge you as governor in a new world which is hostile and intolerant of mistakes.

There isn't too much graphical that I can show you, other than some design documents and a fluid dynamics test render here.

If you like games that make you think and also teach you things, then you may like this game. There is a low volume announcement mailing list available on the project website that you are recommended to get on.

[https://www.avaneya.com[/b])

The game has a fairly large following and we are currently at roughly 30,000 hits a month. We anticipate at least another two years of development, on top of the year I've already spent on the architectural / engineering side of the design.

There is also a fairly comprehensive FAQ on the project website that might answer some of the more common questions people have. There's also a few interviews regarding the game here and here.

Respect.

Note to moderators: There were two forum sections, Open Source & Free Games, as well as Commercial Indie. Since this project is not mutually exclusive to my interpretation of those categories, I apologize to the moderators if this thread should have been in the latter. Also, most of this post is pretty well the same as the one I posted a few minutes ago on FreeGameDev because both forums have a very similar theme.
tweakedenigma Aug 31, 2010
Re: Avaneya: A Cerebral Sci-Fi for GNU

Sounds like a great game, Can't wait to see more of it. Signed up for the news letter can't wait to hear more.
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010

Yep, i like story
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2010

This forum is fine for it since the base part of the game is free, only the multiplayer is paid-for.

Welcome to the forum too :)

Also i checked out the water video you posted on UF -> [url="https://www.avaneya.com/temp/design/WaterTestRender.ogv"]https://www.avaneya.com/temp/design/WaterTestRender.ogv[/url], actually works quite well.

Any idea of an ETA for when something is playable even at Alpha quality?
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010

Nice graphics, BTW can we see any trailer or teaser for the game?
Kip Aug 31, 2010

Hey folks. Thanks for all the support and the kind welcome.

The fluid dynamics simulator is nice because the entire simulation runs solely on the GPU.

I predict at least another year before there is a playable alpha - but likely more, as these things go.

The more buzz the community is able to generate and spread, the more likely the project will be to succeed. I am really enjoying working on it. It's an exercise in everything from physics, to art and story boarding.
alexandrius Sep 1, 2010

Quoting: KipHey folks. Thanks for all the support and the kind welcome.

The fluid dynamics simulator is nice because the entire simulation runs solely on the GPU.

I predict at least another year before there is a playable alpha - but likely more, as these things go.

The more buzz the community is able to generate and spread, the more likely the project will be to succeed. I am really enjoying working on it. It's an exercise in everything from physics, to art and story boarding.

I'm so glad when people work for people and not for their asses, thanks Kip you are a good guy ;)
Kip Sep 2, 2010

Thanks Alexandrius. It's really nice to see the community backing this effort. I got tired of waiting for someone else to make a game like this, so I figured I might as well finally get started. With about 34,000 hits a month, I would have to do something very stupid to make it not successful.
alexandrius Sep 2, 2010

Quoting: KipThanks Alexandrius. It's really nice to see the community backing this effort. I got tired of waiting for someone else to make a game like this, so I figured I might as well finally get started. With about 34,000 hits a month, I would have to do something very stupid to make it not successful.

hehe, when people except much, it makes you force to make good one, to do best you can
Kip Sep 2, 2010

You're right. There is a lot of pressure on me, but in a good way.
Kip Dec 4, 2010
Hey folks. We just released our first newsletter. You can read it here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.