Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Terraria stutters and lags on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
Vhagg Jun 6
Sup everyone. I switched to Ubuntu 24.04 LTS a month ago and yesterday I decided to play Terraria again. I've finished Terraria a few times on Windows 10, on the same pc, I've also passed the Calamity mod - all without issues, stable 60+ FPS. But on Ubuntu I'm getting lags and stutters that make the game unplayable... Mangohud shows constant 59-60 fps but the game doesnt feel smooth at all, especially in the caves. I posted this issue on the Terraria forums too but they couldn’t find the exact cause, some moderators said that the issue is not in the game. They recommended me to post the issue here too.
My specs are:

GPU - Nvidia Geforce 940MX, driver version 535.171.04
CPU - Intel i5 7200u
RAM - 8GB DDR4
Monitor - 60 Hz

What I tried to do:
-Running the game with Game-mode: It made no difference
-Running the game with Vulkan: It made the game a little smoother on idle but it caused heavy visual bugs and the game still lagged heavily in caves (still with 60 FPS showing)
-Running the game with proton: Almost no difference, still laggy
-Changing the process priority to high: No difference
-Changing the Frameskip settings: It does lag less with Frameskip off, but the game is still very laggy sometimes and not smooth

By the way, Im a huge Linux noob and I dont know a lot of stuff yet.
If you need more information let me know (and please also tell me where to get it)

Here are also a few screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/terraria-laggy-screenshots-s9cf8Pz

Thanks in advance
Vhagg Jun 18
sad
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.