Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Weekend Players' Club 6/21/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)
International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)
Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007 (2007 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Cricket)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (2003 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Golf)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

2024 T20 Cricket World Cup…...

Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007……….

Scotland vs Australia……….

Hello and welcome to the Crass Regional Australian Programming I am Murray Eastlake……. And today I will be bringing you all the action from Australias final Pool B match against Scotland……

Scotland has won the toss and elected to bat first……

The Australian bowlers bowled a very good line and length and kept Scotland under control the entirely of the innings…… They also took wickets and regular intervals to keep Scotland in check…… The Scottish batters really had no answer for the dominate Aussie bowling attack……. Scotland ended their innings a disappointing 5/43…….

The Australian openers Gilchurch and Hyder came out with a mission….. Get this over with early……. And they started on fire……. Getting 19 runs in the first over….. No matter what Bryant bowled it went to the boundary…….

Hayder and Gilchurch didnt let up and quickly ended the match after 2.4 overs…….. Australia were 0/45….. As they romped home to end the Pool stage undefeated and go through to the Super 8 stage with ease…….. And that loss will knock Scotland out of the T20 World Cup and somehow England will sneak through to the Super 8 stage…...

Well there you have it folks…….. Another chapter has been entered into the great book of cricket……

Game Action…….

Match Result…….

Scotlands Batting Card…...

Australias Bowling Card…...

Australias Batting Card…….

Scotlands Bowling Card…...

And now onto the second match on this double header….. As Australia Play their first Super 8 Group 1 match against Bangladesh…….

Australia vs Bangladesh……….

Bangladesh has won the toss and elected to bat first…….

Australia will look to bring their winning from into the Super 8 stage against Bangladesh……

The Aussie bowlers kept bowling really well and have again dont a fantastic job pinning down the batters and limiting the runs they are able to get……. As the hapless Bangladesh batters would only master a lowly 8/40 after 10 overs……

Gilchruch and Hayder again strolled out to win the match for Australia……. Gilchurch got a quick single off the first ball….. Hayder went right onto the offensive…… Smashing 18 runs of 5 balls before getting bowled by Refequar……

That brought the captain Ricky Ponting……. And after another quick single by Gilchurch…… Ponting was starting off where Hayder left……. Smacking the Bagladesh bowlers all over the ground and wrapping up the win in very easy fashion…… As Australia ended 1/41 of 2.2 overs…… Obviously the Aussies had some cold beers waiting for them in the dressing rooms and didnt want to get to get warm……..

Well there you have it folks…….. Another chapter has been entered into the great book of cricket…….

Next week we will have all the 2024 T20 World Cup action when we will feature what could be a an amazing triple header……. As Australia will play their final 2 Super 8 Group 1 matches against Afghanistan and India….. And if they make it through the Semi Final we will covering that match too……. It will be a bumper week of cricket here on the Crass Regional Australian Programming…….

So make sure you tune in next week…. Same CRAP time….. Same CRAP channel……..

This is Murray Eastlake reporting for the Crass Regional Australian Programming..... And until next time its goodbye from me….

Game Action…….

Match Result…….

Bangladeshs Batting Card…...

Australias Bowling Card…...

Australias Batting Card…….

Bangladeshs Bowling Card…...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4850 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)

Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

All-Star Baseball 2001 (2000 Acclaim) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Baseball)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (2003 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Golf)

Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2007 (2007 Codemasters) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Cricket)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Plagiarism...... Getting in trouble for something you didnt do.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Jun 22

My pick this week is Blender Bros., which is a little-known platformer originally released in 2002 for the Game Boy Advance. Though I desperately wanted more original platform-games for the GBA back in the day, as I mostly wasn't interested in the many SNES and Mega Drive ports that it got because I had already experienced them on more suitable hardware, this one was promoted so little that I only heard of it for the first time after stumbling across Piko Interactive's Steam re-release recently.

I picked this one up at a discount (it's currently 41p on Fanatical if anyone else wants to grab it!) as it's the easiest and cheapest way to get this game today (the aftermarket prices are frightening!), but I pulled out the ROM-file* and am playing it via RetroDECK, because the way that the included emulator is set up is just no good.

*In the Steam client, right-click the game, choose "Manage" and then "Browse local files", and it's there in the folder "/res" as a file simply named "game". Rename that and give it a .gba extension, then drop it into something like RetroArch or RetroDECK, and there you go!

Yes, that is a Game Boy Advance game stretched and then cropped to 4:3 with a bad TV-filter added... And though you can turn that filter off, you can't make the game look correct, regardless. (The same issues also apply to the PlayStation version of 40 Winks which was also re-released in this fashion by Piko Interactive, and which I picked up at the same time.)

So, why is this one so special that I've decided to highlight it as a weekend pick? It turns out that Blender Bros. was a collaboration between Infogrames and Hudson Soft, via (what I presume was) a holding company that's listed by the original version's boot-logos and title-screen as "Infogrames Hudson Inc.". A forgotten title from the House of Bomberman? How could I not?!

And it's a good one, too, barring its plain, error-filled, overly-literal translation that, as you can see, really should've gotten some extra editing passes before release, especially when it comes to the bosses and their portmanteau animal names.

Blender Bros. is set in a distant future where humans have left Earth and live alongside humanoid animals known as "animalmen" in various places out there in the universe. This is generally a peaceful co-existence, until eventually the animalman population outpaces that of humans, and a group known as the Zooligans rises up to try to wipe out humanity. Our protagonist is Blender, a dog-person with prehensile ears that can be used for various tasks, who, fittingly for man's best friend, would rather that his people keep peacefully co-existing with humans. Accordingly, he's part of a group called the Cosmo Keepers - a galactic defense-force whose aim is to prevent humanity's destruction at the hands of the Zooligans, and so he sets out to do just that. He's not alone in his quest, though - he can make use of small backup creatures known as Mini Bros. (hence why the game is titled "Blender Bros."), which can be collected throughout the course of the game, and which grant extra abilities beyond Blender's own.

The game is a solid little platformer, with occasional into-the-screen driving sections to break things up every so often. It doesn't really break new ground, but it's charming and well-made, and sometimes that's all that you want out of an entry in a genre as vast as platforming.

I'm so happy to have discovered this title - it's only a shame that it didn't get the promotion and success that it deserved at the time!

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Brotato (Proton)

Doom II (Proton)

Speedball 2 (MD)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

Super Baseball 2020 (MD)

Tinhead (MD)

Willy Wombat (Saturn)

Worms (MD)

Worms (SNES)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
This looks so weird - it looks like they stuck some kid in a big helmet and shoved him out onto the field.

This guy looks like he's got stink-lines coming off of him, and the other bloke is annoyed about it!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Plagiarism...... Getting in trouble for something you didnt do.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
I laughed out loud at this one!

Last edited by Pengling on 22 June 2024 at 10:02 am UTC
I don't have quite so much time as you guys for games. But, this weekend I will be playing THUG, I just completed it on "Normal" difficulty, and now going to do it again on "Sick" difficulty :-).

Played the game as a kid/teenager with cheats, so this time around it's playing without any cheats.
Quoting: BlackBloodRumthis weekend I will be playing THUG, I just completed it on "Normal" difficulty, and now going to do it again on "Sick" difficulty :-).
What the hell is "THUG"???........
Quoting: BlackBloodRumthis weekend I will be playing THUG, I just completed it on "Normal" difficulty, and now going to do it again on "Sick" difficulty :-).
What the hell is "THUG"???........
Isn't it obvious? lol. Tony Hawk's Underground (PS2 game)
Pengling Jun 22
Quoting: BlackBloodRumIsn't it obvious? lol. Tony Hawk's Underground (PS2 game)
I must admit, I didn't know either. (It's not my genre and I've never played any of them.)
i have been playing Counter Strike 2 & Team Fortress 2 on my PC.
Quoting: Pengling
My pick this week is Blender Bros., which is a little-known platformer originally released in 2002 for the Game Boy Advance.
You aint wrong..... Ive never heard of it......

Yes, that is a Game Boy Advance game stretched and then cropped to 4:3 with a bad TV-filter added... And though you can turn that filter off, you can't make the game look correct, regardless. (The same issues also apply to the PlayStation version of 40 Winks which was also re-released in this fashion by Piko Interactive, and which I picked up at the same time.)
Oh dear....... That does look horrible........

Quoting: PenglingSo, why is this one so special that I've decided to highlight it as a weekend pick?
I bet its related to Bomberman somehow.....

Quoting: PenglingIt turns out that Blender Bros. was a collaboration between Infogrames and Hudson Soft, via (what I presume was) a holding company that's listed by the original version's boot-logos and title-screen as "Infogrames Hudson Inc.". A forgotten title from the House of Bomberman? How could I not?!
BINGO!...... Do I win a cookie???......

Brotato (Proton)
That is a very tiny mech........ And held together with sticky tape no less....

Doom II (Proton)
Its taking you awhile to get through Doom II...... Motivation issues???.......

Speedball 2 (MD)
The UE MD version is very very nice......

Stumble Guys (Proton)
I still have no idea whats going on

Super Baseball 2020 (MD)
Better or worse than Bomberman Hardball baseball game???......

Tinhead (MD)
Really???...... They made the enemy the exact same colour as the background????.......

Willy Wombat (Saturn)
So what is he saying???.......

Worms (MD)
Probably the best console version of the original Worms game.....

Worms (SNES)
Bad version..... You will need the Worminator to get rid of this one.....

Quoting: PenglingThis looks so weird - it looks like they stuck some kid in a big helmet and shoved him out onto the field.
Thats the home plate umpire...... They wear those huge masks in real life to protect themselves......

Quoting: PenglingThis guy looks like he's got stink-lines coming off of him, and the other bloke is annoyed about it!
This is how the fight transpired......

Quoting: PenglingI laughed out loud at this one!
Its funny cause its so stupid.....

No Bomberman this week Pegnling????......
Hmmmmmmm....... That must mean....... *Spider pulls off Penglings mask*...... JINKIES....... OLD MAN NACHO NUN!....... "And I would have gotten away with it too....... If it wasnt for that meddling arachnid".......

Oh no true believers.... Pengling has been kidnapped by the Doritos Pope..... And its up to our favourite Wall Crawling Friendly Neighbourhood Sports Emulating Spider-Man to save the day........

"No way....." Spider says off camera.......
W-w-w-what....... But she needs your help.......
"Its winter here and its way to cold to go out..... Im not going to get a cold rescuing her....... Im gonna stay here in my warm room under my spider blanket while drinking hot chocolate...... Ill rescue her when Spring rolls around.....

Well true believers who will step up and save Pengling...... The Ninja Turtles????
*camera pans to the lifeless bodies of the Ninja Turtles slumped on the ground with flies buzzing around*
Hopefully someone will save our intrepid hero......
"NOT ME"....... Yells Spider from off camera again...... *The Camera pans over to him sitting in a nice warm room covered with a spider blanket and sipping on a hot chocolate......*
Oh brother...... Tune in next time true believers to see who will Rescue Pengling.......

Quoting: BlackBloodRumIsn't it obvious? lol. Tony Hawk's Underground (PS2 game)
Quoting: PenglingI must admit, I didn't know either. (It's not my genre and I've never played any of them.)
Ive never ever heard it referred to as "THUG"....... Ive heard "THU" similar to "NFSU"....... Ive also never played it...... I stopped after THPS3.....

Quoting: picnick404i have been playing Counter Strike 2 & Team Fortress 2 on my PC.
I havnt played TF2 in well over 10 years....... Glad to people are still enjoying it........
Pengling Jun 23
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderYou aint wrong..... Ive never heard of it......
I'm amazed that I never heard of it - not only am I a big fan of platformers, but I was big into the Game Boy Advance import scene too (I actually imported my console at the Japanese launch), and it just wasn't really promoted or covered by anyone.

I just completed it a short time ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I'm glad I found it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOh dear....... That does look horrible........
It's a good thing that they let you grab the ROM to use how you want!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI bet its related to Bomberman somehow.....
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBINGO!...... Do I win a cookie???......

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThat is a very tiny mech........ And held together with sticky tape no less....
That is a little potato with a lot of weapons!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIts taking you awhile to get through Doom II...... Motivation issues???.......
Those, and the usual needing to not get motion-sickness! I'm not enjoying Doom II as much as the first game - it feels like it has more duff stages, to me.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe UE MD version is very very nice......
It is - the background-music makes a big difference, I think. I'm looking forward to putting more time into this one, and could instantly see why it was universally-praised when I was a kid.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI still have no idea whats going on
This one's an obstacle-course where you have to use tornadoes and gusts of wind to cross big gaps in a ruined temple.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBetter or worse than Bomberman Hardball baseball game???......
I actually preferred the one in Bomberman Hardball, here...

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderReally???...... They made the enemy the exact same colour as the background????.......
Yeeeeeeeeeeeah... It seems to be pretty charming other than that, though - I'm looking forward to digging into it some more!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSo what is he saying???.......
He's telling one of his former colleagues that if they all want to know the rest of the truth he's discovered about the society they all came from, then they'll stop getting in his way.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderProbably the best console version of the original Worms game.....
Yep, you know it! I think that the loading times hurt the 32-bit versions quite a lot.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderBad version..... You will need the Worminator to get rid of this one.....
Yeah, it's super-choppy for no good reason, and has rather odd controls, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThats the home plate umpire...... They wear those huge masks in real life to protect themselves......
I know, but the screenshot still looked funny!

Love the picture, by the way - he looks like he's doing a little dance.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThis is how the fight transpired......
Here's the rest of what happened.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNo Bomberman this week Pegnling????......
Hmmmmmmm....... That must mean....... *Spider pulls off Penglings mask*...... JINKIES....... OLD MAN NACHO NUN!....... "And I would have gotten away with it too....... If it wasnt for that meddling arachnid".......

Oh no true believers.... Pengling has been kidnapped by the Doritos Pope..... And its up to our favourite Wall Crawling Friendly Neighbourhood Sports Emulating Spider-Man to save the day........

"No way....." Spider says off camera.......
W-w-w-what....... But she needs your help.......
"Its winter here and its way to cold to go out..... Im not going to get a cold rescuing her....... Im gonna stay here in my warm room under my spider blanket while drinking hot chocolate...... Ill rescue her when Spring rolls around.....

Well true believers who will step up and save Pengling...... The Ninja Turtles????
*camera pans to the lifeless bodies of the Ninja Turtles slumped on the ground with flies buzzing around*
Hopefully someone will save our intrepid hero......
"NOT ME"....... Yells Spider from off camera again...... *The Camera pans over to him sitting in a nice warm room covered with a spider blanket and sipping on a hot chocolate......*
Oh brother...... Tune in next time true believers to see who will Rescue Pengling.......
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! But I just didn't have the time - I didn't think that it would lead to this!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIve never ever heard it referred to as "THUG".......
I thought that it was the name of a fighting-game or a beat-'em-up.

Last edited by Pengling on 23 June 2024 at 6:16 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.