Heads up - this is how you can break your deck.
peterlopen 7 days ago
hi,

just an info for anyone, how it is possible to break deck.
I torrented big file, down speed was around 5MB/s. left deck running until its get downloaded. since I have sleep timeout, after some time (10m) it went to sleep mode I assume. after waking up, deck did not reacted to any input.
I restarted and it never booted to UI anymore. booting using boot manager showed that /home could not be mounted and since it is a dependency for everything else, it stopped loading further.
I had no better idea just to clean account data and set up steam from scratch.

Not sure if /home could be repaired somehow, since I can not take out the disk.

regards
BlackBloodRum a day ago
I wouldn't really call that a device being broken, but rather a software issue. With that said, it sounds like /home unmounted in a dirty way for some reason, though this should have cleaned itself on the next boot.

For future reference though, it's worth noting that the steam deck is basically a small portable computer, so if you plug in a live USB stick, you can boot it up and check your partitions and stuff in the same way you would a desktop/laptop computer.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.