Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
A little light Linux reading for the weekend
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jul 16
Yeah, sadly, Matrix has a problem with moderation and spam that they don't have any built-in tools to deal with. And, bridging it to Discord was a nightmare since Discord mods can't remove the spam and hate.

Matrix is just a poorly thought-out platform for end-users. Discord actually works and works quite well, despite some obvious issues, it's just simple and easy to use.

So zero plans to go back to Matrix.

If anything, we should want IRC to actually evolve properly with the times, but I fear it never will.
Linux_Rocks Jul 16
Quoting: dpanter
Quoting: dziadulewiczWould love a GOL Matrix though.
We tried that. The amount of hateful little shithead people was endless and it just wasn't worth anyones time or effort. Matrix is dead and the (ab)users murdered it.
Quoting: Liam DaweYeah, sadly, Matrix has a problem with moderation and spam that they don't have any built-in tools to deal with. And, bridging it to Discord was a nightmare since Discord mods can't remove the spam and hate.

If anything, we should want IRC to actually evolve properly with the times, but I fear it never will.
Well damn, I had no idea it was that bad before. Fuck those people and any bigotry, seriously. I would've watched my joking and trying to be funny with GIFs more on the Discord had I known that. I know this won't get me unbanned from there, but I wanted to say this to you guys anyways. Cause I'm well aware that I play too much sometimes. lol

Also, isn't part of the point of IRC that it's old school? I know that the protocol has been updated over the years, but that also depends on what the specific server is actually running. My only real complaint from being an IRC OP before was that the banning either was too loose or too strong if you used *s. Where it'd then also ban other users too.

IRC has had growth in tech and fandom servers, but declined everywhere else unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of USENET or BBS.

Last edited by Linux_Rocks on 16 July 2024 at 5:36 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.