Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
A little light Linux reading for the weekend
Liam Dawe 2 days ago
This might be the funniest meme I've ever made, not sure I can top this one

Highball 2 days ago
lol, the Unix wars turned into the distro wars and soon to be the package management wars. Thankfully we don't see a lot of that on here.
Linux_Rocks 2 days ago
Quoting: Highballlol, the Unix wars turned into the distro wars and soon to be the package management wars. Thankfully we don't see a lot of that on here.
I've seen similar here on the Discord server before when talking about using FreeBSD too. Typical "Why would you use that?" nonsense. Open source is open source. It's too late in the day for there being beef or bickering over what people use. That shit was old and annoying on IRC (Freenode) back in the day, but nowadays it's just sad and depressing. 🙄
pilk 2 days ago
Nuh-uh! My distro is the best one. Actually, this one. No, that one. Augh.
wvstolzing a day ago
Quoting: Highballlol, the Unix wars turned into the distro wars and soon to be the package management wars. Thankfully we don't see a lot of that on here.

& those were commercial products; so you could see why it would be in someone's very concrete and obvious commercial interests as to why they'd promote that version against any other.

With distro wars, text editor wars, programming language wars etc., there's no such readily discernible rationale. It's an ill-informed BS shouting contest and nothing more.

... and it gets really silly when supposedly well-informed people *rationalize* their gut feelings into supposedly knock-out explanations as to why the other side is stupid, confused, ignorant, etc. The way the 'other side' is depicted in such rationalizations always reminds me of those comically clumsy black-white 'before' segments in 'infomercials'.
dziadulewicz a day ago
Quoting: Liam DaweThis might be the funniest meme I've ever made, not sure I can top this one

Where can one read this curious pamphlet? I got an impression it's not JUST the cover
PublicNuisance a day ago
Could make an entire series on this. Have a book for distros, another for init systems, another for package managers, another for desktop environment, etc. The only thing that we may all be able to agree on is that we love to argue.
BlackBloodRum about 4 hours ago
That's not true at all!

Portage is clearly the winner in package managers. You can choose to either install from a binary, or compile yourself, it has possibly one of the best dependency resolvers, allows you to add your own patches to programs, allows you to install multiple versions of the same application in different slots, etc etc. It's possibly one of the best package managers I've ever used. I fell in love with it immediately.

There is no better choice.
dpanter about 2 hours ago
Quoting: dziadulewiczWhere can one read this curious pamphlet? I got an impression it's not JUST the cover
If you join... the other Linux Discord... you'll get all the abuse you never wanted. Pro tip: don't go there, it's a silly place.
Join the GOL Discord instead for good vibes.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.