Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
overzealous content blocking issue
LoudTechie 2 days ago
We can't expect Liam to fix our overzealous content blockers, so lets fix it ourselves.

First the currently known issues:
1. Some content blockers block like buttons.
2. Third party content blocking blocks Article pictures, because they come from golmedia.net

What've I found right now.
Ublock origin doesn't have issue one, so it's unsuited for testing, but suited for usage.
The build-in content blocker of my browser is zealous enough to cause two and sometimes one.
AdGuard AdBlocker is zealous enough for issue one and is as such suited for testing.

@@||gamingonlinux.com*&domain=www.gamingonlinux.com,domain=www.golmedia.net doesn't do squad.
Liam Dawe 2 days ago
Number 2 is especially annoying, because the original reason we put it into a separate domain was other blockers flagged media from the same source. You just can’t win.

I get why people use blockers (I do) but they often cause issues because the people who make the block lists often just add things without really looking.

Does it tell you and show you when it blocks media??

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 2 July 2024 at 1:53 pm UTC
LoudTechie 2 days ago
Quoting: Liam DaweNumber 2 is especially annoying, because the original reason we put it into a separate domain was other blockers flagged media from the same source. You just can’t win.

I get why people use blockers (I do) but they often cause issues because the people who make the block lists often just add things without really looking.

Does it tell you and show you when it blocks media??

Jup.
I can see the tagline images, but not the article pictures.
Also this isn't a standard adblocker problem.
This is probably build into my browser, because without adblocker it also fails and it leaves a picture of a broken document and my adblocker tends to leave no traces (ublock origin).
Based on what I experienced when I tried to visit the explicit link it could be cloudfare associated.
When I visited te link explicitly cloudfare stopped me.

I inspected the crashed picture and got:
QuoteThe resource at “https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js” was blocked due to its Cross-Origin-Resource-Policy header (or lack thereof). See https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Cross-Origin_Resource_Policy_(CORP)# will-anything-dethrone-the-steam-deck-probably-not

Edit:
new horrible news some article pictures do load I can't tell you why.

Last edited by LoudTechie on 2 July 2024 at 2:24 pm UTC
LoudTechie 2 days ago
On issue #1 the problem lies in "AdGuard Social Media filter"

Edit: This is the problematic list.

Last edited by LoudTechie on 2 July 2024 at 2:39 pm UTC
LoudTechie 2 days ago
the "AdGuard Social Media filter" is a horrible list it's primary elements is javascript code without the enters.

Edit: correction it's deliberately slightly obfuscated.

The readable version with docs can be obtained at github.com/AdguardTeam/deep-override

Last edited by LoudTechie on 2 July 2024 at 3:06 pm UTC
LoudTechie 2 days ago
I expect the problem to lie under "General hiding rules"

the "share group" is what's being blocked

Last edited by LoudTechie on 2 July 2024 at 3:20 pm UTC
LoudTechie 2 days ago
I'll try gamingonlinux.com#@#.share.group

Is there critique on this line

Last edited by LoudTechie on 2 July 2024 at 3:37 pm UTC
Liam Dawe 2 days ago
It's probably a good idea to get in touch with whoever makes it, and if they don't solve it - try something else. There's literally zero need to block our media domain, it's only used to host our media.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.