Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Does Sinden Lightgun work?
Linas Jul 9
Hi everyone, I recently came across Sinden Lightgun, and got a bit of a nostalgia rush.

It does seem to support Linux to some degree, but appears to be targeted heavily towards emulation hobbyists. I was mostly going to play Steam games like Major Mayhem, and the info regarding whether this would work on Steam over Proton is rather sparse.

So the question is, has anyone tried it, and gotten it to work on Linux? Do games need to be aware of the lightgun like a special controller or can it emulate mouse input?

Last edited by Linas on 9 July 2024 at 5:45 am UTC
whizse Jul 9
It seems to be run as somewhat of an "enthusiast" project as despite the Wiki, information is sort of scattered. Anyhow, there are some relevant notes in the driver package with special instructions for the steam deck.

Sounds like it runs as either a mouse or as a joystick:

Quote"MAKE SURE YOUR SINDEN LIGHTGUNS ARE ON V1.9 FIRMWARE BY USING THE WINDOWS BETA 2.05 OR HIGHER AND UPDATING FIRMWARE. WE NEED THE JOYSTICK FUNCTIONALITY. ALSO ON THE FIRMWARE UPDATE TAB ENABLE THE JOYSTICK FUNCTIONALITY FOR EACH LIGHTGUN.

I'm not sure how well Steamdeck Linux does with absolute mouse coordinates devices, so for this first release I'm recommending you use joystick mode. I think mouse should work but it hijacks the mouse cursor and seemed a bit messy, hopefully people can experiment and feed back."

The example used Mame on the Deck so I'm not sure how well it works with regular Steam games. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.