Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Weekend Players' Club 7/12/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)
Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

Need For Speed: Underground…...

The time Need For Speed and The Fast And The Furious had a baby…...

The graphics….. Are really nice….. Even for a PS2 game they still hold up really well today up just some simple up scaling to 1080p….. Even though the game takes place during the night time the colours are very bright and vibrant…… The tracks look fine with lots of detail…… Lots of reused sections thought….. But I will get to that later…...

The car models are also really well done for the time….. The only real downside are the human models….. They all looks weird and stretched…...

The sounds……. Again they are good……. Not very realistic but the cars sound different enough from each other……. With very loud turbos noises while driving…… Even the screech of tyres is over the top….. The music though is very ugh……. Lots of rap and hip hop crap…… I guess that was the style at the time….. Like wearing an onion on your belt……..

The controls……… Are perfectly fine…… The cars very feel planted and control just fine……. Even if its very unrealistic……. This is an arcade game after all…… So expect unrealistic handling….. But saying that the controls themselves are very nice and simple and work just fine…… No surprises to be found here…..

The storyline.…… I honestly had no idea what the storyline was meant to be……. You are the new racer in town trying to make a name for yourself and you get shown the ropes by some “hot” model character who has about as much as character as a plank of wood……

And that is the biggest issue with this game….. Every character has no character……. And is just as bland as the previous non character character…….. Doritos Pope is more of a character than these “characters”…..

The gameplay…… Is actually really good……. Lots of variety in the racing which is good…. Cause the main limitation with this game is the tracks….. There are very few tracks in this game and all take place around the same area….. You will notice the same section of track is repeated in quite a few tracks…….

Its almost like they were going for a small open world design and then changed it last minute but kept the very limited track designs…….

Besides the short number of tracks the gameplay is very good……. There is normal races as well as elimination along with drifting and drag races……. Thankfully that race structure variety does indeed help the nullify the small track count….

Win races…… Win money……. Earn points……. Unlock more parts for your car to make it as ugly as possible……. The uglier the car the more reputation you will have which will help unlock more ugly vinyls and decals……...

Overall…… This is a perfectly fine Need For Speed game that was heavily criticised back in the day for moving away from the exotic sports car racing roots the Need For Speed brand was known for…….. Well worth a play through even today for anyone interested in this style of racing…...

And that is why my final score for Need For Speed: Underground is a Vin Diesel meme out of 10………

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 5000 PES points out of 5000……….
YES I HAVE FINISHED THIS STUPID LITTLE QUEST!!!!!...

Other Screenshots……...

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NBA Live 98 (1997 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Basketball)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: How does NASA organise a party.......
A: They planet.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Jul 12

I probably won't have a lot of time for gaming this weekend, so I think that my weekend pick this time around is just going to be some Saturn Bomberman (Saturn, of course ) AI-matches where I can fit them in. It's an incredibly charming installment in the series on one of my favourite consoles of all time, so it was an easy pick.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

40 Winks (PSX)

Stumble Guys (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd that is the biggest issue with this game….. Every character has no character……. And is just as bland as the previous non character character…….. Doritos Pope is more of a character than these “characters”…..
HAHAHA!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderOverall…… This is a perfectly fine Need For Speed game that was heavily criticised back in the day for moving away from the exotic sports car racing roots the Need For Speed brand was known for……..
D'you think that the criticisms were fair, or has time just been really kind to it?

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Man, that's weird - the lighting makes it look like she's not actually there and has just been superimposed over the image!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 5000 PES points out of 5000……….
YES I HAVE FINISHED THIS STUPID LITTLE QUEST!!!!!...
YAY! CONGRATULATIONS!

... Now go and do it again in any other games where you can unlock it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: How does NASA organise a party.......
A: They planet.......
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Hahahaha!
Quoting: Pengling
I probably won't have a lot of time for gaming this weekend, so I think that my weekend pick this time around is just going to be some Saturn Bomberman (Saturn, of course )
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!.......

40 Winks (PSX)
Another step closer to 40 weeks.....

Stumble Guys (Proton)
What did you qualify for???......

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHA!
Its completely true...... The characters have no character.......

Quoting: PenglingD'you think that the criticisms were fair, or has time just been really kind to it?
I think so yes...... It was a massive departure from the previous games...... The highly acclaimed Need For Speed Hot Pursuit II had just released the year before...... So fans didnt see the need to change from exotic sports car/super car racing..... To a Fast And The Furious street tuner rice boy racer......

It would be like changing CoD or BF into forced third person only shooter after being a first person shooter for so long...... Even if its a really good third person shooter people are going to be critical of the change......

Quoting: PenglingMan, that's weird - the lighting makes it look like she's not actually there and has just been superimposed over the image!
They replaced her with a cardboard cutout and no one noticed cause no one in this game has character.......

Quoting: PenglingYAY! CONGRATULATIONS!

... Now go and do it again in any other games where you can unlock it.
I think I have deserved a break from doing that for awhile..... Ill start on the next one in the new year......

Quoting: PenglingHahahaha!
Its a good joke.... Known the world over.....
Pengling Jul 15
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!!!.......

I need to get around to playing through the "Master Game" mode sometime soon, too... Maybe next weekend?

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnother step closer to 40 weeks.....
Oh don't. Seriously.

Unfortunately, in a bizarre twist of fate, things have ground to a complete halt with 40 Winks - I've uncovered a bug in the fifth world, which has caused the boss-portal not to open after clearing all of the levels in that world, leaving me softlocked! I've got no choice but to start over in a different dump of the game; I've been using the one from the official Steam re-release, and I don't want to re-do everything only to discover that this dump is the actual cause of the problem.

I'm going to leave it alone for the time being, though - I've found this really frustrating.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat did you qualify for???......
The next round.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI think so yes...... It was a massive departure from the previous games...... The highly acclaimed Need For Speed Hot Pursuit II had just released the year before...... So fans didnt see the need to change from exotic sports car/super car racing..... To a Fast And The Furious street tuner rice boy racer......

It would be like changing CoD or BF into forced third person only shooter after being a first person shooter for so long...... Even if its a really good third person shooter people are going to be critical of the change......
Makes sense.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI think I have deserved a break from doing that for awhile..... Ill start on the next one in the new year......
Totally fair!

Last edited by Pengling on 15 July 2024 at 1:00 pm UTC
Ehvis Jul 15
My plan for the weekend was to finally finish the main story of The Witcher 3.

I first started it in December 2019 and got some sort of save game corruption (dialogue and options not matching up with what I did previously). Restarted the series years later and TW3 a year ago. The game is too long for me to finish in one go, so it took a few stretches with long breaks. And this week I did another 22 hours to finally reach the credits!

It's a fantastic game. I enjoy the mechanics and really only play Witcher games at the highest difficulty. But I'm not so good at keeping engaged with excessively long games. This run from beginning to credits to about 150 hours and that's with a sizeable amount of side quests unfinished. I do probably waste plenty of time by skipping fast travel for the most part and just riding around through the world to get where I need to be. Not a punishment.

Of course, with a long list of side quests and two DLCs left, there's probably 100 hours more. I guess I might be fully done in 2025.
i know i am late but i've been playing Team Fortress 2 (again) and Splitgate.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.