Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
I'm working on a native Linux port for my game Classic Sport Driving, and I'm calling for beta testers!?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Hi, so as suggested on Discord, I post my call for Linux beta testers here! 🙂

The game is Classic Sport Driving, it's a very competitive racing game, directly inspired from classics from the 90s (Lotus Turbo Challenge and JaguarXJ220 were my favorites). Windows version: https://steam.classicsportdriving.net/

Linux native beta test:
https://classicsportdriving.net/res/A7267C58-5C94-4917-B82B-51D4BFDC6C40/ClassicSportDrivingLinuxBeta2024.07.18.7z

If you wanna help, simply extract the archive, and run Classic Sport Driving.x86_64.
(it's not mandatory, but you may want to have Steam running when starting the game, to avoid having to create an account to play online)

The recommended hardware is: Ryzen (or equivalent, or better), GTX1060 (or equivalent, or better), 8GB+ ram.

Feedback is welcomed here, or by DM on our Twitter (@cSportDriving).

Thanks a lot!😊
Sylvain (from France).

Last edited by Sylvain_PixelWrappers on 18 July 2024 at 7:46 am UTC
Ehvis Jul 15
Oh man, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. That brings back memories! Will have to try that based on this alone.
just tried it. Nice look, was missing the mouse at first. Setting the keyboard was a bit unexpected - being able to set a second key for things would also been nice. These are no problem compared to the lags. Sometimes it's fluid, sometimes the game just hangs - I hear the sound of crashing but see no new frames. Happens often and seems like loading parts of the map or something. Uplayable for me.
Tested with Kubuntu Linux 5.15 i76700K GTX970 32G Ram M2SSD
tuubi Jul 15
Only had time for a couple of quick (offline) races, but seems to work perfectly for me. You can check my PC info under my avatar.

Graphics are nice and crisp and driving feels a lot like the classics, for better or worse. I like it. Well done and thank you for doing a native Linux release.

(You got me with Jaguar XJ220. Played the crap out of it on my Amiga 500.)
tom Jul 15
> The recommended hardware is: Ryzen (or equivalent, or better), GTX1060 (or equivalent, or better), 8GB+ ram.

I don't know what those mean, but I have a Framework 13" AMD 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics and it plays *fine*. At least as well as /Art of Rally/ for instance.

There is a small graphical corruption at the bottom of the screen, in menus, that looks like a left over strip of road, but other than that, no offline single player issues so far.

Except. Wow. It's hard. The first race has a nitro boost that doesn't expire till after a tight turn, just before the first checkpoint, for instance.

Tom
Quoting: EhvisOh man, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. That brings back memories! Will have to try that based on this alone.
Thank you!👍

Quoting: GamingOnLinuxUserSometimes it's fluid, sometimes the game just hangs - I hear the sound of crashing but see no new frames. Happens often and seems like loading parts of the map or something. Uplayable for me.
Thanks for trying. Your GPU is about on par with mine, so that does not explain your issue.
Which driver do you use? Open source or Nvidia?

Quoting: tuubiGraphics are nice and crisp and driving feels a lot like the classics, for better or worse. I like it. Well done and thank you for doing a native Linux release.
Thanks for the feedback!
Please not that I'm *considering* a native Linux release.
As of now, I'm a bit scared, as it seems that like half the PCs have issues (also from other sources), while the Proton solution works great... Which is a bit sad, of course...😥

Quoting: tomI don't know what those mean, but I have a Framework 13" AMD 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics and it plays *fine*. At least as well as /Art of Rally/ for instance.
Thanks for the feedback!👍Could you screenshot the menu display issue?
Yes it is (by design) a demanding game...😉

Last edited by Sylvain_PixelWrappers on 16 July 2024 at 1:24 pm UTC
tom Jul 16
Quoting: Sylvain_PixelWrappersThanks for the feedback!👍Could you screenshot the menu display issue?

https://imgur.com/a/5MdiNeI
tom Jul 16
link

and this is after playing a level (made it to two checkpoints this time !)
Oh, you've got a screen AR of 1.5!
That's... Well, sorry, at least until now, unsupported... ;)
Quoting: GamingOnLinuxUserSometimes it's fluid, sometimes the game just hangs - I hear the sound of crashing but see no new frames. Happens often and seems like loading parts of the map or something. Uplayable for me.
Hey, in the meantime I found other users with similar issues: smooth, then a few seconds of huge lags, then smooth again.
Launching the game from Steam (and therefore using Steam-provided libraries) seems to solve the issue. At least on one computer...

May I DM you a Steam key, to check if that works better?
(to others: of course if you don't face those lags, you may still ask me for a key... ;) )

Sylvain.
Corben Jul 22
Quoting: EhvisOh man, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. That brings back memories! Will have to try that based on this alone.
And I have the music in my ear! Nostalgia par excellence.

Especially this one:
Lotus 3 The Ultimate Challenge SoundBlaster version music soundtrack

Last edited by Corben on 22 July 2024 at 1:31 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.