Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Global Windows outage
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
WorMzy Jul 19
Someone left the lid off the snakeoil and it all evaporated.
tfk Jul 19
This company Crowdstrike sure did choose a fitting name. Crowd strike...
emphy Jul 19
In case one needed an example to point to of why one prefers not to have kernel-level shit for drm and/or anti-cheat.

If such a huge security company cannot get this right, there's no way in hell one can trust a game company to do so.

Last edited by emphy on 19 July 2024 at 10:31 am UTC
tfk Jul 19
Quoting: emphyIn case one needed an example to point to of why one prefers not to have kernel-level shit for drm and/or anti-cheat.

If such a huge security company can get this right, there's no way in hell one can trust a game company to do so.

I haven't thought of that until now...

Don't let companies control your computers seems to be the lesson here.
Yeah.... just don't mention that to the Steam community, you'll get shot down faster than you can say DRM if you suggest companies should use less invasive DRM or that kernel level anti-cheats are bad. As I found out the hard way.

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 19 July 2024 at 10:39 am UTC
On the bright side..... Issues like this will only draw more peoples attention to the dangers of digital currency and digital IDs and everything going digital........ Im sure they will forget in 48 hours........ But hopefully more than few will keep remembering........
holy moly!
For me personally the whole situation is like hearing about a tsunami or a hurricane causing catastrophic damage in a country 5000km away.

Also I wonder if they had used Linux instead in affected places if there would have been the need for such a security framework in the first place or if this is all to be blamed on the flawed system architecture of MS Windows?
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticAlso I wonder if they had used Linux instead in affected places if there would have been the need for such a security framework in the first place or if this is all to be blamed on the flawed system architecture of MS Windows?
The issue comes when Microsoft makes multi billion dollar deals with countries to create "Cyber Shields" for the countries cyber defences........ Things like this will never ever be blamed on Microsoft or the Windows architecture...... EVER.......
LoudTechie Jul 20
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticFor me personally the whole situation is like hearing about a tsunami or a hurricane causing catastrophic damage in a country 5000km away.

Also I wonder if they had used Linux instead in affected places if there would have been the need for such a security framework in the first place or if this is all to be blamed on the flawed system architecture of MS Windows?

Yes, fully.
The big boy security business works different than you might expect.
A hack can cost billions and your career if when and you don't know when or where it will come, but because of the risk if you can't proof you've a strategy against it you will have a problem.
As such the relevant authority figures will (understandably) simply try to buy it off, because when you've bought protection you can simply show the receipts and say: "they were just too strong".

This is true for Linux and windows.
Linux/windows hacks exist.
As such Linux/windows security products exist.

Now what would a (legit) linux security product offer.
A sanitized 3rd party backup of all the data and clean images of the relevant programs against ransomware.
Company specific monitoring.
If I can measure enough legit activity I can make a stricter permission structure.
If due to measuring I find out that the director of hr never queries the age of people and only their salaries I can revoke their access to it, so that if they get hacked an attack will be harder.
etc.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.