Weekend Players' Club 8/2/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

Formula One 05 (2005 Sony) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)
Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PLayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

Screenshots……...

Test Drive Unlimited (2007 Atari) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Triple Play 2002 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

NHL Hitz 2003 (2002 Midway) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Hockey)

WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (2000 THQ) - Sony PlayStation - Sports (Wrestling)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) – Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Racing)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Aliens are gonna be super confused when they show up threatening to overthrow our leaders and we are all stoked and even offer to help........
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Aug 3

My pick this weekend is Brotato (Proton).

It's one of the many Vampire Survivors-alikes that popped up once that game popularised the genre, and is my favourite of those. As with its inspiration, you fire automatically, and so only need to concern yourself with movement, picking up items, and choosing power-ups at the end of every wave. It sees a potato soldier stranded and surrounded by aliens, and he has to ward them off until help arrives - it's full of personality, and I think I might actually like it slightly better than Vampire Survivors.

I've unlocked a lot of different characters by now, but haven't had the chance to try them all out yet, so that'll be my focus this weekend.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Asteroids (Arcade)

Atomic Bomberman (Proton)

Cannonhead Clash (Atari 2600)

Cookie Clicker (Proton)

Super Bomberman R (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)
The second I saw this, I imagined it being your Christmas card for this year;

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
I see what you did there.
Quoting: Pengling
My pick this weekend is Brotato (Proton).
I dont even know where the hell your character even is in that screenshot.......

Quoting: PenglingI've unlocked a lot of different characters by now, but haven't had the chance to try them all out yet, so that'll be my focus this weekend.
Are they all potatoes???......

Asteroids (Arcade)
At this point im looking forward to you missing and the asteroid crashing into earth......

Atomic Bomberman (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.......

Cannonhead Clash (Atari 2600)
Funnily enough thats a Atari 2600 game that ive never heard off....... I will have to look into that one..... Though I have something else planned for next week......

Cookie Clicker (Proton)
That still looks more like sperm than hands.......

Super Bomberman R (Proton)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING x2........

Quoting: PenglingThe second I saw this, I imagined it being your Christmas card for this year;

Ive totally stolen borrowed that image and will use it for this years Christmas card......

Quoting: PenglingI see what you did there.
Did what???...... Thats an unedited image from Formula One 05.... I swear.......
Klaas Aug 4
I've been playing OperationMission Vileaf. I don't remember that I've ever seen any/read anything Smurfs related at all, although I own a copy of the Smurfs SNES game. It's a colect-a-thon with infinite lifes and the healing mechanic is fun. What is not fun is that some of the jumping has a weird difficulty curve, e.g. when the floating jump baloons first appear in Wild's domain and that it has no map which makes it really tedious to go back to collect everything after the required gadget addons are unlocked.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI dont even know where the hell your character even is in that screenshot.......
Probably the one with the guns… directly under the 10………………

See, I added several of the … extra for you.

Last edited by Klaas on 5 August 2024 at 11:41 am UTC
missingno Aug 4
Same as last week.

Under Night In-Birth II [Sys:Celes] - I'm back on my bullshit again. Uzuki arc was fun, but when it comes time for bracket I gotta lock in. And by lock in, I mean still play like a clown.

Splatoon 3 - Didn't have too much time to practice this week, but had one good session. Really trying to work on more actionable callouts, coordinating with our specials and planning a push together rather than merely announcing things after they happen.

Persona 4 Golden - Still just post-Kanji dungeon. At the rate I am going I will finish this game... someday.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story - Man, forgot how annoying it was that you have to always go for weapon breaks against bosses or else you miss their blueprint forever. Also, RHDN shutdown has me wondering, if/when the third game's translation patch ever gets finished, where do I even look to find out about it?

Slay the Spire - I can quit any time I want, I swear.

Mahjong Soul/Riichi City/IRL mahjong - Came dangerously close to losing my Master 1 rank on Soul, but got a few wins so I'm safeish now. I know I'm too reckless and I'm trying to work on that. I did play one of the best games I've had at club this week, had the discipline to fold several tempting hands and it turned out to be correct every time. Sometimes protecting second place through smart play is more satisfying than lucking into first.
Pengling Aug 8
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI dont even know where the hell your character even is in that screenshot.......
It's as Klaas said;
Quoting: KlaasProbably the one with the guns… directly under the 10………………
That little guy there, firing the yellow lightning-bolt. (Also, it's easy to tell the aliens apart from the potatoes - the aliens are all different shades of purple, and the potatoes aren't!)

Quoting: KlaasSee, I added several of the … extra for you.
Heheheh.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAre they all potatoes???......
Yes. That's what all of Brotato's playable characters are.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.......

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderFunnily enough thats a Atari 2600 game that ive never heard off....... I will have to look into that one..... Though I have something else planned for next week......
The link I posted'll take you to it - it's a modern homebrew title.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThat still looks more like sperm than hands.......
You have a very strange perception of what things look like, my friend.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING x2........
I'm sure you mean "Super Goddamnit Pengling R", Spider.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIve totally stolen borrowed that image and will use it for this years Christmas card......
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Feel free, that's made my day!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderDid what???...... Thats an unedited image from Formula One 05.... I swear.......
Totally.

Quoting: KlaasI don't remember that I've ever seen any/read anything Smurfs related at all, although I own a copy of the Smurfs SNES game.
And nobody will ever figure out the mystery of how you came to own it!

Quoting: missingnoI can quit any time I want, I swear.
That's what they all say.

Last edited by Pengling on 8 August 2024 at 2:28 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.